OTTAWA, March 6, 2019 /CNW/ - The Edmonton Police Service (EPS) has laid criminal charges against a former employee from Edmonton Institution for actions against other staff while on duty. Please refer to the EPS news release for more information.
In 2017, staff at Edmonton Institution brought forward allegations of inappropriate employee conduct. The Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) conducted a fact-finding exercise, during which time information was brought forward alleging possible criminal activity. CSC promptly reported this information to the EPS, who launched a separate, independent investigation. CSC then took immediate steps to ensure the safety and security of all at the institution and fully collaborated with the police investigation that led to the charges today.
At the same time, CSC launched an internal disciplinary investigation, which determined that a number of misconduct allegations were founded. As a result of CSC's investigation, seven employees were terminated at Edmonton Institution.
CSC's mission is to provide a safe, secure and humane environment in support of offender rehabilitation. Since the time of the allegations, CSC has undertaken a number of measures to improve workplace well-being across the organization and is committed to a work environment free of harassment, bullying, discrimination and intimidation. Managers are being provided with the necessary tools to act promptly to address inappropriate behaviour and reinforce the accountability of all staff to ensure a culture of respect, integrity and pride in the important work CSC does to keep Canadians safe.
"I am deeply concerned with the actions that have led to these criminal charges. I am committed to ensuring that CSC carries out its mandate with the highest level of integrity, professionalism and excellence. It is my top priority to ensure a healthy and respectful workplace, not only at Edmonton Institution but across CSC. My thoughts are with those who have been impacted by the situation at Edmonton Institution, and with all our employees who work hard every day to support offender rehabilitation and ensure the safety of our communities."
- Anne Kelly, Commissioner
- CSC employs approximately 18,000 staff
- There are 43 federal institutions located in five regions across Canada
- Edmonton Institution is a maximum security level institution for male offenders
- It was opened in September 1978 and has a rated capacity of 324
- Edmonton Police Service news release
- Disciplinary investigation leads to termination of four employees at Edmonton Institution
- Update on Edmonton Institution
- Statement - Commissioner Don Head addresses staff misconduct allegations at Edmonton Institution
- Policy on Harassment Prevention and Resolution (Treasury Board Secretariat)
- Directive on the Harassment Complaint Process (Treasury Board Secretariat)
- Government of Canada harassment prevention tools and guides
For more information, please visit the website www.csc-scc.gc.ca.
SOURCE Correctional Services of Canada
For further information: Media Relations, 613-992-7711, email@example.com