TORONTO, March 13, 2015 /CNW/ - CIBC (TSX: CM) (NYSE: CM) released its annual Corporate Responsibility Report and Public Accountability Statement today which compliments CIBC's Annual Report to shareholders by disclosing CIBC's economic, environmental, social and governance performance for the 2014 fiscal year.
"We recognize that the long-term success and viability of our bank is closely linked to the confidence and trust our clients and stakeholders have in our organization" says Sharon Mathers, CIBC Senior Vice-President, Communications and Public Affairs. "Our commitment extends beyond our clients into our communities."
"CIBC is a major contributor to the Canadian economy and to the communities in which we work and live," she adds. "We support economic growth and prosperity by helping our clients achieve their financial goals, supporting small businesses, creating employment opportunities, purchasing local goods and services, and by investing in social issues that matter to Canadians."
2014 highlights include:
- 20.9% Total Shareholder Return;
- $122.4 billion in debt financings to businesses;
- $42 million in contributions toward making a difference in more than 420 communities;
- More than 44,000 full-time and part-time employees with payroll and benefits totaling $2.8 billion;
- $1.2 billion in taxes paid in Canada;
- $2.8 billion in purchases of goods and services from suppliers; and
CIBC invested more than $42 million in 2014 to support communities across Canada. We helped raise $25 million for the 2014 Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation CIBC Run for the Cure, gave a record $12.4 million to the 2013 United Way Campaign, and raised a record $4.6 million for the 2013 CIBC Miracle Day in support of children's charities.
Our interactive report features stories from some of CIBC's clients and employees and new videos of initiatives in our communities. Transcripts of the videos are available, as well as other accessibility features including adjustable font sizes and compatibility with screen readers.
CIBC is proud to be recognized for industry-best practices, including being named:
- The strongest publicly-traded major bank in Canada and North America by Bloomberg Markets magazine;
- Among the Top 10 Safest Banks in North America by Global Finance magazine;
- One of Canada's 50 Most Engaged Workplaces™ by Achievers;
- One of Canada's Top 100 Employers by Mediacorp;
- One of Canada's Best Diversity Employers by Mediacorp;
- Among the Top 20 World's Greenest Banks by Bloomberg Markets magazine; and
- The only Canadian bank among the top 100 global companies in Newsweek's 2014 World's Greenest Companies.
Any questions or feedback on our report can be directed to: [email protected]
CIBC is a leading Canadian-based global financial institution with 11 million personal banking and business clients. With a strategic focus on Kids, Cures and Community, and employee commitment to causes, including the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation CIBC Run for the Cure, the CIBC Children's Foundation and United Way, we are investing in the social and economic development of communities across the country. In 2014, CIBC contributed more than $42 million to 1,780 charitable and non-profit initiatives in over 420 communities. You can find other news releases and information about CIBC in our Media Centre on our corporate website at www.cibc.com.
SOURCE CIBC - Investor Relations
For further information:
Caroline Van Hasselt, Director, External Communications and Media Relations, 416-784-6699 or [email protected]