"Black Orange" from Keebo Sports Supplements (CNW Group/Health Canada)
OTTAWA, Sept. 10, 2016 /CNW/ -
Health Canada seized an unauthorized product called "Black Orange" from Keebo Sports Supplements at 2101 Quance St., Regina, Saskatchewan. The product is sold as a pre-workout stimulant and is labelled to contain ingredients that can pose serious health risks (yohimbine HCl, a prescription drug, and the combination of ephedrine and caffeine).
Who is affected
- Consumers who have bought or used the product.
- Black Orange by Dark Horse Labs
What consumers should do
- Stop using this product. Consult with your doctor if you have used this product and have health concerns.
- Read product labels to verify that health products have been authorized for sale by Health Canada. Authorized health products have an eight-digit DIN, a DIN-HM or a NPN. You can also check if products have been authorized for sale by searching Health Canada's Drug Product Database and Licensed Natural Health Product Database.
- Report adverse events to health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1-866-234-2345, or by reporting online, by mail or by fax.
- Report complaints about health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1-800-267-9675, or complete an online complaint form.
Yohimbine is a prescription drug and should only be used under the supervision of a healthcare professional. The use of drugs containing yohimbine (either as yohimbine hydrochloride or yohimbe bark extract) may result in serious adverse reactions, particularly in people with high blood pressure, or heart, kidney or liver disease. Side effects associated with yohimbine include increased blood pressure and heart rate, anxiety, dizziness, tremors, headache, nausea and sleep disorders. It should not be used by children, or pregnant or nursing women.
Ephedrine and caffeine, when combined, may cause serious and possibly fatal adverse effects. Ephedrine taken in combination with caffeine can cause symptoms ranging from dizziness, tremors, headaches and irregularities in heart rate to seizures, psychosis, heart attacks and stroke. Canadians suffering from heart conditions, high blood pressure and diabetes are among those particularly at risk.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada seized the product from the retail location after receiving a consumer complaint. Should additional retailers or distributors be identified, Health Canada will take appropriate action and inform Canadians.
Stay connected with Health Canada and receive the latest advisories and product recalls using social media tools.
Également disponible en français
SOURCE Health Canada
PDF available at: http://stream1.newswire.ca/media/2016/09/09/20160909_C5539_PDF_EN_769876.pdf
For further information: Media Enquiries: Health Canada, (613) 957-2983; Public Enquiries: (613) 957-2991, 1-866 225-0709