'Chicken in the Straw' back for a limited time to celebrate #90YearsOfWhiteSpot
VANCOUVER, June 4, 2018 /CNW/ - On June 16th, White Spot celebrates 90 years of serving up delicious meals and creating special memories for everyone who comes through their doors. From the humble beginnings of serving peanuts and hotdogs out of Nat Bailey's Model T Ford in 1928, to proudly serving over 12 million guests a year with 65 restaurants throughout BC and Alberta, White Spot is Canada's longest running restaurant chain and truly BC's Own restaurant.
"People often ask me how White Spot continues to grow and remain relevant after all these years," says Warren Erhart, President of White Spot. "I tell them it's because memories are made here. Whether you're here for Sunday brunch, a first date, a special birthday or your very first Pirate Pak, we have something on the menu for every occasion. On behalf of all our people, I'd like to thank our long-time guests for their support and invite newcomers to see what's made us BC's Own restaurant for all these years."
To honour White Spot's culinary history, Executive Chef Danny Markowicz and his team have put a new spin on an old classic: Chicken in the Straw. Featured on their limited-time 90th anniversary menu, Chicken in the Straw – which consists of a crispy quarter chicken served with creamy coleslaw on a "nest" of signature Kennebec fries – is almost as Legendary as the famous Triple "O" sauce.
"Many people automatically think of us as being famous for our burgers and Triple "O" sauce," says Markowicz. "But the truth is White Spot began as a BBQ chicken restaurant, and was made popular with dishes such as the BBQ'd Chicken Sandwich and Chicken in the Straw. It's amazing how many guests still ask for these dishes, and the version we have created for our 90th anniversary menu is sure to bring back great memories."
The modern twist on an old classic, along with other 90th anniversary menu items, will be available from June 4th to July 15th.
In addition to the anniversary menu, and as a way to say thank you to their guests, visitors to any White Spot location on June 16th will receive (while supplies last) one of 50,000 limited edition commemorative coins. White Spot will also be recognized for this momentous milestone through the City of Vancouver proclaiming June 16th 'White Spot 90th Anniversary Day' to officially recognize the restaurant's ongoing success and community contributions.
90 YEARS OF BEING BC'S OWN
- 1928: Nat's Model T – It all starts with a man and his truck. Nat Bailey transforms his Model T into a travelling lunch counter which he sets up at Vancouver's Lookout Point.
- 1928: The First Drive-in & Restaurant – The very first White Spot restaurant and drive-in opens at 67th and Granville in Vancouver, BC.
- 1935: Local Farmer Partnership – Nat Bailey shakes hands with Felix Guichon of Felix Farms in Delta, BC, to secure a potato partnership for White Spot's signature Kennebec fries that continues today with the Guichon Family and other local farmers.
- 1955: 10,000 Cars a Day – At 110,000 guests a week, it feels like everyone loves The Spot, especially for the iconic carhop service.
- 1960: The Triple "O" Sauce Takes Off – By the sixties, the Legendary burger with the secret Triple "O" sauce is bigger than ever among British Columbian teenagers and available at 10 locations.
- 1963: The White Spot Pipe Band – White Spot's legacy of giving back to the community includes sponsoring a junior pipe band. Today, White Spot continues to support dozens of local charities like Variety the Children's Charity (since 1966), Zajac Ranch for Children, KidSport and many more.
- 1997: Triple O's – Triple O's restaurant is created to provide White Spot's famous burgers, fries and shakes to guests in a quick-service restaurant style. Since then, Triple O's has expanded internationally to Singapore, Hong Kong and Macau.
- 2008: Red Seal Training Program – White Spot becomes the first restaurant to offer a full indentured apprenticeship program in house. This program is the first of its kind to offer culinary training otherwise reserved for post-secondary institutions.
- 2018: 90 Years and More – Today, White Spot welcomes over 12 million guests annually through their doors for breakfast, lunch, dinner, late-night snacks and take-out. They've come a long way from hot dogs and peanuts out of the back of Nat's Model T and look forward to many more years of delicious food and great memories.
About White Spot
Headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia, White Spot is Canada's longest-running restaurant chain, celebrating their 90th year. Founded in 1928, when Nat Bailey launched Canada's first drive-in restaurant at Granville and 67th, the 90-year-young chain now sees more than 17 million guests annually at 133 White Spot and Triple O's locations throughout B.C., Alberta and Asia. Bailey's original vision was to build a restaurant that served the highest quality, unique tasting food and White Spot remains committed to continuing this tradition in each and every meal. White Spot Limited is proud to be recognized with the platinum status designation as one of Canada's Best Managed Companies and one of Canada's top 150 iconic brands as awarded by Interbrand Canada, and a member of Forbes list of Top Employers of Canada.
SOURCE White Spot Restaurant
For further information: Media contacts: Cathy Tostenson, Vice President, Marketing and Menu Development, White Spot Restaurants, [email protected], 604-326-6740; Jeremy Twigg, FleishmanHillard HighRoad, [email protected], 604-306-4036