CALGARY, Dec. 8, 2017 /CNW Telbec/ - This month marks the first year since Uber began providing Calgary's residents and visitors with safe, reliable rides under the new bylaw. That's twelve months of rides when you need them to wherever you need to go, all at the tap of a button.
"We are excited and honoured to celebrate the first year of Uber in Calgary," said Ramit Kar, Uber General Manager for Western Canada. "This accomplishment wouldn't be possible without our wonderful driver-partners and the welcoming people of Calgary. We are looking forward to providing a reliable transportation option for local residents and visitors alike for years to come."
"Having a safe, reliable and convenient transportation option such as Uber lessens the chance that people will drive impaired," said MADD Canada National President Patricia Hynes-Coates. "That reduces crashes and saves lives. We thank the Uber driver-partners who are getting customers home safely, and we thank the riders who are making the responsible choice to arrange a safe, sober ride home."
"After a year of having Uber in Calgary, we've seen thousands of new jobs for Calgarians who needed to make ends meet or who merely wanted to have more discretionary income," said Councillor Woolley. "Now, as the winter months blow into our city, having yet another option for a safe, reliable, an affordable way to get around has made all the difference for Calgarians."
To celebrate its first year serving the city of Calgary, Uber Canada is sharing top ridesharing trends that highlight how Calgarians are getting around:
Uber trips in Calgary
- Saturday, July 8th, opening weekend for the Calgary Stampede, was the busiest day on record for Uber drivers in Calgary
- The longest trip in 2017 occurred when a rider hailed their Uber at Calgary International Airport and travelled more than 420 kilometres to Revelstoke, BC
- Uber drivers picked up riders in Calgary from 53 different countries this past year
Uber drivers in Calgary
- The Toyota Corolla is the most popular vehicle among Uber drivers in Calgary
Top Calgary events
- According to the Uber ridership, the biggest Calgary Flames game of the season was on Thanksgiving Day weekend (October 7th) against the Winnipeg Jets
- Kings of Leon topped Garth Brooks as the most attended concert this year among Uber riders in Calgary
With tens of thousands of trips taken and economic opportunities created, we are proud to celebrate the spirit of this amazing city.
About Uber Canada
Cofounded by Canadian entrepreneur Garrett Camp in 2009, Uber is a smartphone application that connects users with driver-partners. Uber now operates in more than 40 communities in Canada and provides 45,000 driver-partners with a new way to generate revenues when they have free time by offering a more affordable transportation option to hundreds of thousands of users across the country. For more information, visit uber.com.
SOURCE Uber Canada Inc.
For further information: Jean-Christophe de le Rue, [email protected], 613-806-0671