TORONTO, Nov. 9, 2012 /CNW/ - Toronto Hydro Corporation is proud to receive an honourable mention from the Excellence in Corporate Responsibility (ECR) Awards. The ECR Awards were developed to honour and celebrate corporate Canadians for outstanding work and dedication towards creating sustainable and ethical practices within the business framework. The ECR Awards attract entries from a variety of industries and sectors across Canada including financial services, retail, manufacturing, building design and development, and industry associations. Toronto Hydro was one of eight companies to receive an honourable mention.
"Toronto Hydro is an important member of the communities that we serve, and we appreciate receiving this recognition," says Anthony Haines, President and CEO, Toronto Hydro Corporation.
Highlights of utility's corporate responsibility achievements in 2011 include:
- Participating in the CIBC Run for the Cure in 2011, a record $12,000 was raised for Breast Cancer Research from employee donations and the Corporation's new Matching Program.
- Diverting more than 3,500 metric tonnes of materials from landfill through investment recovery and earning approximately $5.7 million through the sale of these items back into the marketplace.
- Achieving two million hours without a lost-time injury
- Raising approximately $373,000 for United Way Toronto. Since 2005, Toronto Hydro has donated more than $1.3 million to this social agency.
- Delivering the Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) developed by the Ontario Energy Board. Last year, LEAP helped more than 900 Toronto Hydro customers pay their electricity bills.
- Investing approximately $14.1 million in conservation and demand management programs, achieving approximately 173,000 MWh in energy savings and an estimated total electricity reduction of 49.8 MW in demand.
- Planting 500 trees and shrubs and supporting urban forestry initiatives. Since 2004, employees have planted more than 2,700 native species of trees in various parks across the City.
Toronto Hydro has also been recognized as one of Canada's Greenest employers by Canada's Top 100, and as a leader in the electricity industry for its innovative and award-winning conservation and demand programs.
About Toronto Hydro
The principal business of the Corporation and its subsidiaries is the distribution of electricity by Toronto Hydro-Electric System Limited. Toronto Hydro-Electric System Limited owns and operates an electricity distribution system, which delivers electricity to approximately 712,000 customers located in the City of Toronto. It is the largest municipal electricity distribution company in Canada and distributes approximately 18% of the electricity consumed in the Province of Ontario.
SOURCE: Toronto Hydro Corporation
For further information:
For more information about Toronto Hydro's corporate responsibility initiatives, please visit torontohydro.com/responsibility.