TORONTO, Nov. 1, 2013 /CNW/ - Toronto Hydro-Electric System Limited (Toronto Hydro) is now reporting approximately 200 customers without power in various locations throughout the city. According to Environment Canada, wind speeds are diminishing with gusts from 40-50 kms per hour. Gusts are expected to drop to 20-40 kms per hour tonight. Toronto Hydro's distribution system is generally affected by winds in excess of 80 kms per hour.
At the present time:
- Work volumes are at 200 per cent over normal volumes.
- Additional customer service representatives remain on the phone to assist with 'power out' calls.
- Based on the current work volume, the average time for crews to arrive onsite is 1 hour. Extra crews have been held back from the day shift to complete final stage of outage restoration.
- Current restoration time for all calls is 2 hours.
The final phase of the work is the slowest. Crews are now travelling house-to-house to fix wires and pole-top repairs affecting single locations.
Customers returning home this evening to find their power is out, should call Toronto Hydro's outage hotline at 416.542.8000. Customers should not assume Toronto Hydro is aware of their outage.
If possible, before calling, customers are asked to:
- Check the breaker panel at their property to ensure the switches are in the "on" position. If they are "off", switch them "on".
- Determine if the outage is affecting their home only or the entire street or neighbourhood.
Toronto Hydro continues to ask the public to stay clear of all downed wires and to report them at 416.542.8000.
For more information about power outages, and preparedness tips for residential and business customers, please visit torontohydro.com/poweroutage
SOURCE: Toronto Hydro Corporation
For further information:
Tanya Bruckmueller, Toronto Hydro-Electric System