Toronto Hydro encouraging residents to get ready for storm season

New animated video shows what can happen when you're not prepared

TORONTO, Dec. 22, 2015 /CNW/ - On the second anniversary of the ice storm, Toronto Hydro is highlighting the importance of having a 72-hour emergency preparedness kit. It's especially important as a recent Toronto Hydro Twitter poll showed only 25% of our customers are ready for a power outage. As forecasters are calling for a mild winter with increased potential for freezing rain and ice, it's time for the remaining 75% to be prepared.

Influencing people to put together a kit when they're not in the middle of an emergency has historically been very difficult. To help customers learn what they need to have on hand, we've created a fun video that follows the story of Sara and José as they experience a power outage in the city of Toronto.

Based on the classic fable of the grasshopper and the ant, the main message from the video is that while most power outages don't last long, a little preparation can help you stay safe and minimize inconvenience.

The video can now be viewed on YouTube:


  • In the event of an emergency, you should be prepared to be without power for 72 hours
  • In the event of a major outage, Toronto Hydro has a website – – that can be accessed from any device to get the latest news and updates.
  • When building your emergency kit, remember:
    • Pack at least four litres of water per person per day
    • Include a radio (crank or battery powered)
    • Make sure you have non-perishable food
    • Keep your emergency kit in an easy-to-access location known to all family members

For more information visit


"Most people don't think of being prepared until it's too late. We don't want our customers to be caught off-guard, which is why we've made this fun and engaging video to help them learn why it's important to be ready for power outages."
-       Tori Gass, Spokesperson, Toronto Hydro


Toronto Hydro owns and operates an electricity distribution system, which delivers electricity to approximately 752,000 customers located in the city of Toronto. It is the largest municipal electricity distribution company in Canada and distributes approximately 19% of the electricity consumed in the province of Ontario.

Twitter - 
Facebook -
YouTube -
Flickr -
LinkedIn -

SOURCE Toronto Hydro Corporation

Video with caption: "Video: Toronto Hydro’s new video shows what you need to stay safe and comfortable during a power outage". Video available at:

For further information: Tori Gass, Communications and Public Relations, 416-903-4037,; 24-hours media line: 416-903-6845,


Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890