TORONTO, Sept. 16 /CNW/ - Each year, over a million Canadians will choose between one of the 92 universities across the country. To compete for top students, post-secondary institutions have to work harder at distinguishing themselves as front runners, particularly when so many offer excellent academics. According to the head of recruitment for St. Francis Xavier University (StFX), selling the intangible, softer elements of academic life is pivotal for success. It is also the idea behind a unique initiative that has students abuzz.
StFX in Antigonish, Nova Scotia will launch Capture the X-Factor campaign, a video submission challenging students to describe not only the tangible elements, but also the exhilarating atmosphere that saturates campus life.
"People can practically taste the feeling that's in the air at the start of the school year," said Justin Fox, director of recruitment and admissions at StFX. "That is why campus tours have been so successful for recruitment. A very high percentage of students that come on our campus tours decide to attend StFX."
The university is putting emphasis on the camaraderie that is easily felt when students step back on campus.
Students will vote for their favorite video online. Votes count for 60 per cent of the winning submissions. The other 40 per cent will come from a panel including the director of student life, an alumnus and student union member, as well as a member of the recruitment team all with the same goal in mind; to intensify the buzz and possibly provide the secret to competing more strategically against other universities for top students.
Capture the X-Factor will run from the third week of September until the end of October.
Ranked #1 five times in the last ten years by Maclean's University Rankings, StFX is recognized as one of the finest university experiences in Canada. The university meets the needs of today's undergraduates through outstanding teaching, exceptional hands-on research and the very best in a residential community.
For further information: For further information: