Two in five Canadians Using Voice Activated Assistants
MTM asked Millennials What They Couldn't Live Without, Would You Be Surprised to Know that Cellphones Were Their Lifeline?
MTM Top Five Sneak Peek Report With These Additional Findings Available Now
OTTAWA, Feb. 7, 2018 /CNW/ - The Media Technology Monitor (MTM), a research product of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC/Radio Canada), today announced the immediate release of its new Sneak Peek Report.
The Sneak Peek explores our top five key findings and provides an inkling of what can be expected from the upcoming season.
Key findings from the Sneak Peek include the following:
- Canadians still love watching television – 94% say they've watched it in the past month. Linear TV remains king, although we're seeing shifts to online TV in both the Anglophone and more recently the Francophone market;
- Being the first to market, Siri is currently used by close to two-thirds of Canadians who use voice activated assistants. With significant marketing campaigns, smart speakers will be closely monitored this spring;
- Canadians were asked to rank the devices and services they couldn't live without. Canadians 18+ rank home internet connection as their number one, however, Millennials (18-37) differ somewhat in rankings as they report their cell is number one;
- Over half of Canadians (54%) currently subscribe to at least one Over-the-Top TV (OTT) service such as Netflix. MTM asked current OTT subscribers how interested they'd be in subscribing to another OTT service, one in seven report that they would if the price was right;
- Travel and commuting apps such as Uber and Lyft are popular among 13% of Canadians. Not surprisingly, those living in Ontario are more likely to use ride sharing apps than the rest of Canadians due to market availability.
The MTM Sneak Peek Report is being offered as well as the English- and French-language Media and Technology Adoption Reports and the most recent Fall 2017 data set, which is all available to subscribers on the MTM Portal.
To access a free version of the Sneak Peek Report, click here.
About the MTM
The Media Technology Monitor (MTM©) is Canada's premier research product in the area of technology ownership and use. Based on 12,000 telephone interviews annually (including a cellphone only sample), the MTM has spoken with over 140,000 Canadians (equally split between Anglophones and Francophones) over the past decade making it the most accurate and comprehensive media technology tracking survey of its kind. For more information on the MTM please visit our Portal at www.mtm-otm.ca or call: 1-855-898-4999.
For further information: Jenny Meadows, MTM, a product of CBC/Radio-Canada, 613-288-6231 or 1-855-898-4999, Jenny.Meadows@cbc.ca