TORONTO, June 7, 2018 /CNW/ - Voting locations across Ontario will be open today from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M. (Eastern Time).
Elections Ontario is modernizing the election process for the 2018 general election by introducing technology in the polls. Today, 50% of the polls will have vote tabulators and e‑Poll books serving 90% of electors as they vote on election day.
E-Poll books make it easier and faster for an elector to get a ballot. Election officials will use e-Poll books to strike voters' names from the voters list before providing them with their ballot. Voters will then cast their ballot using vote tabulators, delivering faster and improved service to Ontario's electors.
The number of electoral districts in Ontario has increased from 107 to 124. Some electors may be voting in a different location or electoral district for this election. Voter information cards (VIC) with details about when and where to vote have been mailed to registered electors. Voters are reminded to bring their VIC and one piece of identification to vote. Voting location information is also available at www.elections.on.ca.
Canadian citizens who reside in Ontario, and are at least 18 years of age, are eligible to vote. Ontario electors can find a list of acceptable identification documents and information about when and where to vote on www.elections.on.ca.
"Polls opened this morning for Ontario's transformative 42nd general election. We are using technology in the polls to make voting even easier for electors as we take a measured and principled approach to modernizing our electoral process. Electors who bring their voter information card and identification to vote can expect shorter wait times and a better voter experience as a result of the introduction of technology in the polls."
— Greg Essensa, Ontario's Chief Electoral Officer
- Polls will be open today from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M. (Eastern Time). Electors can find their voting location on their VIC or online at www.elections.on.ca.
- Live unofficial election results will be available after polls have closed at 9:00 P.M. (Eastern Time) at www.elections.on.ca.
- The publication of election surveys that have not previously been made public is prohibited until 9:00 P.M. (Eastern Time) on June 7, 2018.
- A blackout on political advertising is in place until 11:59 P.M. (Eastern Time) on June 7, 2018.
- We provide accessible services at all our voting locations. To learn more about our accessible services visit www.elections.on.ca.
Elections Ontario is the non-partisan agency responsible for administering provincial elections, by-elections and referenda. For more information, visit elections.on.ca or call 1-888-668-8683 (TTY: 1-888-292-2312).
Aussi disponible en français
SOURCE Elections Ontario
For further information: Elections Ontario Media Relations, 1-866-252-2152, [email protected]