TORONTO, Feb. 14, 2014 /CNW/ - February is Heart Month, when more than 140,000 Heart and Stroke Foundation volunteers go door-to-door to ask for public support to save lives, prevent disease and promote recovery from heart disease and stroke. This year, we are thrilled to announce our first Text to Donate campaign for mobile users.
"Anyone with a mobile can help us save lives by simply picking up your phone and pushing a few buttons," said Geoff Craig, Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, Heart and Stroke Foundation. "Last year alone, there were 165,000 survivors of heart disease or stroke. While this is great news, and certainly cause for celebration, much work remains to be done and a simple text donation will help us continue to create and support survivors."
How to donate:
- Text 20222 for $5 and write Donate
- Text 80100 for $10 and write Donate
- Text 45678 for $20 and write Donate
- Your donation will appear on your next wireless bill, clearly identified as a donation to Heart and Stroke Foundation (HSF).
Heart health tips for all Canadians
This Valentine's Day don't forget the simple habits all Canadians can adopt to lead a heart-healthy life and help prevent heart disease and stroke.
- Eat a healthy diet. Follow the recommendations in Canada's Food Guide.
- Be physically active. 30 minutes most days of the week is all it takes to start, and everything counts.
- Be smoke-free.
- Manage stress. Identify the source of your stress, talk to friends and family, and take time for yourself.
- Limit alcohol consumption. Women should limit themselves to no more than two drinks a day, to a weekly maximum of 10; and men to three drinks a day to a weekly maximum of 15.
- Heart disease and stroke are two of the three leading causes of death in Canada.
- Nine in 10 Canadians have at least one risk factor for heart disease or stroke.
- The leading cause of hospitalization in Canada is heart disease and stroke.
- Up to 80 per cent of premature heart disease and stroke is preventable.
The Heart and Stroke Foundation's mission is to prevent disease, save lives and promote recovery. A volunteer-based health charity, we strive to tangibly improve the health of every Canadian family, every day. Healthy lives free of heart disease and stroke. Together we will make it happen. heartandstroke.ca.
SOURCE: Heart and Stroke Foundation
For further information:
Alex Maheux [email protected]