The road to school starts with safety
Aug 29, 2014, 08:00 ET
THORNHILL, ON, Aug. 29, 2014 /CNW/ - As summer draws to a close and the classroom bell rings in the new school year, over 800,000 students across Ontario will ride the bus back to school. That is why CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) is reminding drivers to slow down in school zones and watch for flashing bus lights.
CAA SCO tips for drivers:
- Always check for children on the sidewalk, driveway and behind your vehicle before backing up
- Remember to slow down in school zones
- Be ready to stop at all times as children may dart out between parked vehicles
- Try to make eye contact with children waiting to cross the street
- Come to a complete stop for school buses when red lights are flashing
CAA SCO tips for students:
- Stop before stepping onto the road
- Look in all directions before crossing the street
- Listen for traffic
- Walk, don't run, across the road
CAA SCO bus safety rules:
- Be at the bus stop ahead of time
- Stand back from the edge of the road in a safe location
- Hold the hand rail when boarding or exiting the bus
- Keep feet out of the aisle to avoid tripping others
- Keep your head and arms inside the bus
- Always follow the bus driver's instructions
CAA School Safety Patrollers dedicate over 3.45 million volunteer hours each year helping their fellow classmates get to and from school safety. There are over 55 police services, more than 800 schools and over 20,000 elementary school students involved in the CAA School Safety Patrol program.
As a leader and advocate for road safety and mobility, CAA South Central Ontario is a not-for-profit auto club which represents the interests of more than 1.9 million members. For over a century, CAA has collaborated with communities, police services and governments to help keep drivers and their families safe while travelling on our roads.
SOURCE: CAA South Central Ontario
For further information: Media contact: Silvana Aceto, Media and PR Consultant, CAA SCO, [email protected], Office: (905) 771-3194, Cell: (416) 209-4930 or Jeff LeMoine, Communications Consultant, CAA SCO [email protected], Office: (905) 771-4709, Cell: (416) 254-0641.
Share this article