TORONTO, June 27, 2013 /CNW/ - As kids get ready to trade their books and backpacks for soccer balls and swim suits, Toronto Hydro-Electric System ("Toronto Hydro") wants to remind everyone to play safe this summer.
Toronto Hydro's Top 5 Safety Tips:
- Look up, look down, look around - Put an imaginary spotlight on everything above, below and around your play or work area. Be aware of your surroundings and learn to identify potential hazards.
- Go fly a kite (but not near power lines) - Before you let that kite fly be sure to check the sky for power lines. The kite and string may conduct electricity right through you to the ground. Should a kite become entangled in overhead power lines, do not attempt to remove it or cut-it-away. This rule also applies to trampolines. No jumping if there are power lines overhead.
- Don't climb or play on electrical equipment - Those green transformer boxes in front of your house aren't jungle gyms. They house potentially dangerous electrical equipment so steer clear and never poke sticks or wires into the enclosures. If you come across any unlocked or damaged equipment call Toronto Hydro immediately.
- Water and electricity don't mix! In fact, they're mortal enemies so never use electricity near water. Most household electrical accidents happen when these two get together. Keep electrical devices, such as radios, electric lawnmowers and trimmers well away from the swimming pool.
- Remind mom and dad to watch out for power lines and electrical equipment too! Whether they're climbing a ladder or digging in the backyard, make sure mom and dad are aware of potential hazards too.
Image with caption: "Toronto Hydro's Sean Doyle (left) and Steve Nelson (right) open up a transformer to show the grade one students at Fern Public School on Monday. (CNW Group/Toronto Hydro Corporation)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20130627_C3979_PHOTO_EN_28609.jpg
SOURCE: Toronto Hydro Corporation
For further information:
Tanya Bruckmueller, Toronto Hydro-Electric System Limited
C: 416-903-0440 (onsite)