Last year, more than 2 million Starbucks® Cards were sold on a single day, representing nearly 1,500 Starbucks® Cards per minute
TORONTO, Dec. 17, 2013 /CNW/ - With many Canadian schools and businesses preparing to break for the winter holidays this Friday, December 20th, Starbucks anticipates record purchases and activations of Starbucks® Cards on Thursday, December 19 - historically the single busiest day of the year for Starbucks gift card sales. Last year, more than 2 million Starbucks® Cards were purchased in the U.S. and Canada on the Thursday before Christmas - representing nearly 1,500 cards purchased per minute in the U.S. and Canada
"With only eight days of holiday shopping left in the year, this is the time when so many of us are looking for great stocking stuffers and last-minute gifts our teachers, friends and colleagues will enjoy. Starbucks gift cards are the perfect option," says Richard Burjaw, vice-president of Marketing, Starbucks Coffee Canada. "We are predicting that this Thursday and next Monday, Dec. 23, will be our busiest days for Cards sales, with Christmas Eve and Christmas Day being our busiest days for Starbucks Card eGifts."
Since Starbucks® Card launched 12 years ago, $16 billion U. S. has been loaded on 450 million cards in 27 countries worldwide. Of that $16 billion U.S., more than $4 billion U.S. was loaded onto Starbucks® Cards worldwide in the past year.
"Available to purchase at more than 80,000 places in North America alone, a Starbucks® Card is a convenient, thoughtful and simple way to finish your shopping for everyone on your holiday list - from teachers to neighbors to the closest of friends and family," said Cliff Burrows, group president Americas, EMEA & Teavana. "Customers can find Starbucks Cards in our retail stores, in their local grocery store, drugstore and even online. Our store partners, e-commerce teams and social gifting channels are ready for strong activity in these final days before Christmas."
With a special assortment of holiday gift items designed to dazzle anyone on your list, Starbucks helps take the guesswork out of giving for all last-minute shoppers.
For the Coffee or Tea Lover
- Starbucks® Coffee Sampler Gift Pack - the perfect way to share Starbucks variety of products with friends and family! Each sampler is a wonderful introduction to Starbucks® offerings for every beverage enthusiast on your list. Suggested Retail Price: $21.95 CAD
- Starbucks® Mini Coffee Sampler Gift Pack features Starbucks® special limited time ground holiday coffees including Starbucks® Christmas Blend, Starbucks® Holiday Blonde Roast and Starbucks® Christmas Blend Espresso Roast. Suggested Retail Price $9.95 CAD
- Taste of Tazo Gift Pack takes you on a journey through Starbucks assortment of Tazo® teas. Discover robust black teas, delicate green teas and aromatic herbal teas blended with imagination with six different tins of tea, beautifully packaged with no wrapping required. Suggested retail price: $21.95 CAD
For the Stylish Sipper
- Stainless Steel Pearlescent White Tumbler - Classic, clean and timeless - this tumbler is the perfect gift for the chic hostess on your list. Suggested Retail Price: 16 fl. oz. $22.95 CAD
- Faceted Double Wall Ceramic Tumbler - This new travel cup is as white and crisp as freshly fallen snow. The unique faceted surface sets it apart and makes sure it will stand out under any tree. Suggested Retail Price: 10 fl. oz. $16.95 CAD
For the Stocking Stuffer
- Starbucks® Cup Ornament - These wonderful little ornaments are inspired by our iconic seasonal to-go cup. Now the Starbucks enthusiast on your list can decorate their tree with a red cup of their very own! Suggested Retail Price: $5.45 CAD
- Starbucks® Create Your Own Ornament - Make the iconic Starbucks Cup ornament your own! This ceramic cup ornament with a writable surface comes with everything you need, including a gold pen and instructions, to add a personal touch to any tree. Suggested Retail Price: $7.95 CAD
- Starbucks VIA® Peppermint Mocha - Inspired by our signature Peppermint Mocha handcrafted beverage, Starbucks VIA® Peppermint Mocha Flavoured Coffee, is made from Starbucks® coffee, premium cocoa, natural peppermint flavour and pure cane sugar. Specifically designed to be made with hot milk, customers can now enjoy a rich and creamy, crisp and minty cup of Starbucks® flavoured coffee anytime. Suggested Retail Price: $7.95 CAD
- Starbucks VIA® Christmas Blend - Enjoy the tradition of Starbucks® Christmas Blend wherever your holiday plans take you! Starbucks VIA® Christmas Blend is a blend of instant and microground coffee that provides a comforting taste of the holidays on-the-go. Available in 12-serving packs at all Canada company-operated stores. Suggested Retail Price: $12.95 CAD
Starbucks offers many ways to give the gift of coffee. Starbucks® Cards can be purchased in a variety of designs or holiday imagery. Digital gift cards (eGifts) can be given through the company's website (www.starbucks.ca/shop/card/egift), iOS mobile app or through Facebook and Twitter in the U.S.
Starbucks® Cards are the gift that keeps on giving. When customers register a Starbucks® Card with My Starbucks Rewards®, they start earning stars that can be redeemed year-round for Starbucks beverages and food. Details can be found at www.starbucks.ca/rewards.
About Starbucks Corporation
Since 1971, Starbucks Coffee Company has been committed to ethically sourcing and roasting high-quality arabica coffee. Today, with stores around the globe, the company is the premier roaster and retailer of specialty coffee in the world. Through our unwavering commitment to excellence and our guiding principles, we bring the unique Starbucks Experience to life for every customer through every cup. To share in the experience, please visit us in our stores or online at www.starbucksstore.ca.
Image with caption: "Starbucks VIA® Christmas Blend (CNW Group/Starbucks Coffee Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20131217_C5052_PHOTO_EN_35051.jpg
Image with caption: "Starbucks® Coffee Sampler Gift Pack (CNW Group/Starbucks Coffee Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20131217_C5052_PHOTO_EN_35049.jpg
Image with caption: "Starbucks® Cup Ornament (CNW Group/Starbucks Coffee Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20131217_C5052_PHOTO_EN_35047.jpg
Image with caption: "Starbucks® Card, available to pre-load in any denomination (CNW Group/Starbucks Coffee Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20131217_C5052_PHOTO_EN_35045.jpg
SOURCE: Starbucks Coffee Canada
For further information:
For further information and high-res images, please contact:
Sarah Marinelli, Edelman Public Relations