THORNHILL, ON, Oct. 30, 2017 /CNW/ - The busiest and spookiest night of this season is fast approaching and CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) is reminding parents and motorists to prepare properly to ensure safe streets and happy Halloween for everyone.
"With the excitement of Halloween, children sometimes forget to watch for cars. For this reason, it's essential that parents and guardians accompany their children or if they are old enough, make sure they are with a group of responsible friends," said Kaitlynn Furse, public relations manager, CAA SCO, "Motorists should take extra care in busy neighbourhoods and avoid all distractions behind the wheel to help keep everyone safe."
CAA SCO recommends motorists keep the following safety tips in mind:
- Keep your lights on and frequently check all mirrors for nearby trick-or-treaters.
- If you are dropping off or picking up a group of children, turn on your hazard lights while they enter or exit from the car to alert other drivers.
- Eliminate distractions by keeping music low, and keeping your phone out of reach.
- Avoid driving through heavily populated neighbourhoods where there are likely to be large numbers of children. Be prepared and map out alternate routes.
- Drive below the speed limit when in residential areas, and be extra alert behind the wheel.
The following tips can help parents prepare costumes that help children stand out to motorists:
- Pick bright colours or use reflective tape around the outfit to improve visibility.
- Ensure the costume fits well so it doesn't drag on the ground, which can cause tripping.
- Use makeup instead of a face mask to make sure your child has a clear line of vision.
For more ways to ensure road safety every day of the year, visit CAA and the Government of Ontario's Head Up! website at www.headsupontario.ca.
About CAA South Central Ontario
For over a hundred years, CAA has been helping Canadians stay mobile, safe and protected. CAA South Central Ontario is one of nine auto clubs across Canada providing roadside assistance, travel, insurance services and Member savings for our over 2 million Members.
SOURCE CAA South Central Ontario
For further information: Kaitlynn Furse, PR Manager, P: (905) 771-3194, C: (647) 227-7559, E: firstname.lastname@example.org; Nadia Matos, PR Specialist, P: (905) 771-3058, C: (416) 523-0663, E: email@example.com