TORONTO, June 11, 2014 /CNW/ - Elections Ontario would like to remind media about the process for reporting unofficial election results on June 12, 2014. Media representatives may attend their local returning office at the close of polls tomorrow to obtain election night results. You are advised to make arrangements with the returning officer in advance.
- Elections Ontario reminds you that Ontario law imposes a blackout on political advertising which is in effect June 11 12:01 AM through to June 12 11:59 PM. For more information on these laws, read our factsheet: Information for the media, publishers and broadcasters.
Filming and Photography
- Media representatives are also reminded that filming or photography is not permitted inside a provincial voting location.
- The only exception to this prohibition is for media to capture candidates casting their ballot.
- A photo opportunity needs to be arranged ahead of time between the candidate and the local returning officer.
Election Night Results
- As soon as voting ends at 9 p.m. ET, the deputy returning officer counts the votes and provides results to the returning officer for that electoral district.
- The Returning Officer relays the results for his/her electoral district to the Chief Electoral Officer, as well as the Canadian Media Election Consortium.
- Unofficial election results will be available on the Elections Ontario website www.wemakevotingeasy.ca beginning shortly after the close of polls at 9 p.m.
- Remember, election results remain unofficial until after the official tabulation in each electoral district takes place.
- Official tabulation occurs after election day and is conducted by the Returning Officer in each electoral district.
- Official tabulation is the process by which Returning Officers compile election results.
- Official tabulation will take place on shortly after June 12, 2014.
- Media are not permitted to attend Official Tabulation.
- An application for judicial recount automatically occurs when the race is closer than 25 ballots.
- Elections Ontario Media Relations will issue a news bulletin and will post relevant information in our newsroom related to any judicial recounts.
Image with caption: "Elections Ontario Logo (CNW Group/Elections Ontario)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20140611_C9446_PHOTO_EN_41277.jpg
SOURCE: Elections Ontario
For further information: