TORONTO, Sept. 5, 2012 /CNW/ - Elections Ontario would like to remind media about the process for reporting unofficial election results on election day, September 6. Media representatives may attend their local returning office at the close of polls tomorrow to obtain election night results. You are advised to make arrangements with the Returning Officer in advance.
Election Night Results
- As soon as voting ends at 9 p.m., the Deputy Returning Officer counts the votes and provides results to the Returning Officer for that electoral district.
- The Returning Officer relays the results for his/her electoral district to the Chief Electoral Officer.
- Unofficial election results will be available on the Elections Ontario website www.wemakevotingeasy.ca beginning shortly after the close of polls at 9 p.m.
- Official tabulation, conducted by the local Returning Officer, occurs after election day.
- Official tabulation is the process by which a Returning Officer compiles election results.
- Official tabulation will take place on or shortly after September 7.
- Media are not permitted to attend the official tabulation.
- An application for judicial recount automatically occurs when the race is closer than 25 ballots.
- Elections Ontario Media Relations will issue a news bulletin and will post relevant information in our newsroom related to any judicial recounts.
Disponible en français
SOURCE: Elections Ontario
For further information:
Elections Ontario Media Relations
416.212.6186 / 1.866.252.2152