2016 Sustainability Report Provides Overview of RBI's Sustainable Business Practices
OAKVILLE, ON, June 22, 2017 /CNW/ - Today, Restaurant Brands International Inc. (RBI) released its 2016 Sustainability Report outlining its ongoing commitments and actions to support the people, places and communities it serves, every day. The Report explores how RBI is working with its global Restaurant Owners, Vendors and stakeholders, across the BURGER KING® Brand and Tim Hortons® Brand*, to implement and execute sustainable practices that promote positive change.
"As RBI grows our brands around the world, we are more focused than ever on strengthening our sustainability efforts and progressing towards the goals set out in our Sustainability Framework last year," said Daniel Schwartz, CEO of RBI. "Just as we will always do what's right for our Guests – we are committed to doing what's right, and responsible, across our business."
The 2016 Sustainability Report shares RBI's sustainable achievements and goals for: Food Values, Responsible Sourcing, The Environment, Best People and Communities. Highlights of the report include:
- Tim Horton Children's Foundation (THCF): In 2016 alone, the THCF provided leadership-building camp experiences for more than 19,000 children and youth at no cost to them or their families. On Camp Day 2016, Tim Hortons Guests and Restaurant Owners raised more than $13.1 million for the Foundation.
- Burger King McLamore Foundation (BKMF): Throughout 2016 the BKMF awarded $3 million in student scholarships, and provided more than 16,400 global students with access to education for the first time.
- Code of Business Ethics and Conduct for Vendors: RBI established a Vendor Code that communicates the third-party Vendor requirements and expectations with respect to business integrity and sustainability.
- Forest Commitment: RBI shared how it is working with supply chain partners to eliminate deforestation within its global supply chain by 2030, or sooner, for priority commodities.
- Beef Sustainability: In 2016 RBI participated in the Global Beef Sustainability Conference, co-hosted by the GRSB and the Canadian Roundtable for Sustainable Beef. It focused on advancing zero deforestation in beef production, assessing the overall sustainability of the beef value chain and best practices for connecting consumers and sustainability.
- Tim Hortons Coffee Partnership (THCP): As part of its focus on empowering small holder coffee farmers in Guatemala, Honduras, Columbia and Brazil, the THCP, and its supporting partners, reached more than 11,140 farmers to strengthen their agricultural practices, entrepreneurial skills and communities.
- Waste Reduction: RBI's Global Restaurant Support Centre in Oakville, manufacturing facilities and distributions centres achieved an overall waste diversion rate of approximately 87%**.
- Wellness: RBI launched a corporate Wellness Program to promote the health of employees through education and initiatives that encourage healthy habits and balanced lives.
"As a company with global operations and a complex supply chain, we know we have a key role to play in promoting sustainable business practices through the achievement of our existing and future goals," said Patrick McGrade, Chief Corporate Affairs Officer at RBI.
The 2016 Sustainability Report is now available in English for download on RBI.com, with French coming soon.
*Please note that the Popeyes® brand joined the RBI family in March 2017. As a result, it is not currently included in the scope of sustainability strategies, commitments, activities and initiatives described in this report, unless otherwise specifically mentioned.
**This data is based on both measured and calculated waste that was produced at these facilities as landfill waste, recycling and organics. Measurements reflect the actual weights of waste produced during 2016. In the few instances where weights were not available, volume to weight conversions were used to provide estimates.
About Restaurant Brands International Inc.
Restaurant Brands International Inc. ("RBI") is one of the world's largest quick service restaurant companies with more than $27 billion in system-wide sales and over 23,000 restaurants in more than 100 countries and U.S. territories. RBI owns three of the world's most prominent and iconic quick service restaurant brands – TIM HORTONS®, BURGER KING®, and POPEYES®. These independently operated brands have been serving their respective guests, franchisees and communities for over 40 years. To learn more about RBI, please visit the company's website at www.rbi.com.
SOURCE Restaurant Brands International Inc.
For further information: RBI Communications: [email protected]