TORONTO, Aug. 14, 2012 /CNW/ - More than 1,600 participants from hundreds of municipalities across Ontario will participate in the Association of Municipalities of Ontario's 2012 AMO Conference, August 19 to 22 at the Ottawa Convention Centre, 55 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa.
The Annual AMO Conference is Ontario's foremost educational forum for municipal governments.
The agenda includes presentations by:
- Dalton McGuinty, Premier of Ontario
- Tim Hudak, MPP, Leader of the Official Opposition and the Ontario PC Party
- Andrea Horwath, MPP, Leader of the Ontario NDP
- Dr. Daniel Shapiro, Founder and Director of the Harvard International Negotiation Program
- Amanda Lang, CBC Senior Correspondent, The National and co-host, the Lang & O'Leary Exchange
- Michael Adams, Co-Founder, Environics
- The Honourable Kathleen Wynne, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing
- The Honourable Bob Chiarelli, Minister of Transportation and Minister of Infrastructure
- Rex Murphy, Host of CBC's Cross Country Checkup and columnist, The National Post
This year's program features close to 50 plenary sessions and workshops, and more than 75 speakers, reflecting the broad scope of municipal responsibilities. In addition, Ontario Government Ministers will answer questions from conference delegates in an open session at 3:45 p.m. on Tuesday, August 21.
"A Capital Idea!" is this year's theme for the conference. It will focus on current and emerging Ontario municipal interests so that representatives can learn and take away ideas, solutions and information. Priority topics include leadership, municipal law, infrastructure, energy and conservation, public sector pensions, policing costs, accessibility, social housing, planning, water and wastewater treatment, waste diversion, biodiversity. Program details are available online at www.amo.on.ca.
All media are required to register in Room 201 of the Ottawa Convention Centre. Attending media are encouraged to book accommodation as soon as possible, if needed.
Reporters can build a personalized conference itinerary and access key conference information through AMOmobile - the Association's free mobile app.
AMO is a non-profit organization representing almost all of Ontario's 444 municipal governments. AMO supports and enhances strong and effective municipal government in Ontario and promotes the value of municipal government as a vital and essential component of Ontario and Canada's political system.
SOURCE: Association of Municipalities of Ontario
For further information:
Brian Lambie, AMO Media Contact, 416-729-5425, email@example.com
Follow the AMO Conference on Twitter: @AMOPolicy #AMO2012