YAMACHICHE, QC, April 23, 2019 /CNW Telbec/ - After an investment of over $120 million and two years of intensive work that modernized, completely renovated and doubled the area of the pork processing plant of ATRAHAN, an Olymel division in Yamachiche, 351 Lucyporc employees joined the 556 Olymel employees today. In other words, it is D-Day for Olymel's new pork slaughterhouse and cutting plant, which will employ a total of more than 1 000 people and is the culmination of the project announced in August 2016 as part of the business partnership between Olymel and Groupe Robitaille. The Lucyporc plant, which produces Nagano pork and has been established in Yamachiche since 2000, will cease all operations on April 26.
In addition to existing Olymel and Lucyporc employees, the completion of this project has created more than 300 new jobs, making Olymel one of the largest employers in the region. The new plant, which will focus on the production of value-added products, will be officially inaugurated later this year. Today, the company is expanding its activities to two shifts, which will allow all newly grouped employees to familiarize themselves with the facility that has been completely redesigned and refurbished to better meet market needs.
Since 2016, this project has successfully addressed several challenges, including maintaining production during the renovation and modernization work, recruiting over 300 new employees, and merging seniority lists to allow the United Food and Commercial Workers Union (UFCW) Local 1991P to integrate Olymel, Lucyporc and new employees under a long-term employment contract expiring in 2029.
HIGHLIGHTS: OLYMEL'S NEW PLANT IN YAMACHICHE
THE MOST IMPACTFUL PROJECT IN THE QUEBEC PORK INDUSTRY
- An investment of over $120 million that required two years of work and generated employment for over 200 people during the construction, in addition to involving more than 130 specialized contractors and sub-contractors;
- The pouring of 12,317 m3 of concrete, the use of 695 tonnes of reinforced steel, the laying of 500 km of electrical cables and installation of 2,000 light fixtures, as well as the installation of 1,693 pieces of equipment for the construction of the new Olymel plant;
- A new plant area of 21,715 m2, twice the size of the original plant on the 86,000 m2 site;
- Building of a 6 km water pipe for the supply of drinking water;
- Installation of a new water treatment system with a capacity of up to 2,100 m3/day in a new building;
- Preservation of a wetland of more than 4,500 m2 in its natural state;
- Expansion and installation of new carcass refrigerators;
- Expansion of the hog intake area and weather shelters for increased animal welfare;
- Building of a new CO2 slaughter system for hog anaesthesia to reduce animal stress, improve meat quality and provide a better working environment.
- Creation of more than 300 new jobs for a total of more than 1,000 employees;
- Implementation of a second shift;
- Expansion of office spaces and common areas reserved for employees, including the addition of 455 cafeteria spaces and 850 locker spaces;
- Doubling of parking areas.
- Gradual increase in slaughter capacity from 18,000 to 40,000 hogs/week and doubling of production volume;
- Modernization of production systems using the latest generation technologies, in particular through the automation of certain operations and the implementation of high-performance Cryovac vacuum packaging systems;
- Expansion of the shipping room and installation of 4 new loading docks for a new total of 10;
- Production and marketing of value-added and niche products, such as Nagano pork or chilled pork products with a 60-day shelf life;
- Marketing: 60% of the production volume is destined for export to 50 countries.
Olymel is Canada's leader in the production, processing and distribution of pork and poultry meats. The company has made feeding the world its mission, which it pursues passionately with products of impeccable quality. The company employs over 13,000 persons and has production and processing facilities in Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, New Brunswick and Saskatchewan. Olymel exports more than a third of its total sales to 65 countries. Its annual sales are on the order of $3.5 billion. The company markets its products mainly under the Olymel, Lafleur and Flamingo brands. For more information about the company, visit: www.olymel.ca
About Groupe Robitaille
An agri-food processing company, Groupe Robitaille is an integrated and diversified family business that has been active for over 50 years in poultry and pork production, milling activities and agri-food processing. As part of its activities, Groupe Robitaille meets demanding and specific criteria for genetic selection, breeding, feeding, traceability, biosecurity and animal welfare. For more information about the company, visit: www.grouperobitaille.com
SOURCE Olymel l.p.
For further information: Richard Vigneault, Corporate Communications, 514-497-1385, 450-771-0400, or 1-800-463-7568