With Special Events to Be Held Surrounding Grand Opening
TORONTO, Nov. 13, 2018 /CNW/ - Japanese retailer MUJI announces the re-opening of its original Toronto location on Friday, November 23rd. After undergoing major expansion and transformation, MUJI Atrium will re-open as the first flagship store in Eastern Canada.
MUJI Atrium opened in November 2014 as the company's first location in Canada. While the previous store occupied 5,658 square feet of retail space, the new flagship store will reach 19,110 square feet spread over two floors, becoming the largest MUJI store outside of Asia.
Located in the heart of the city, with a unique store design and interactive elements, MUJI Atrium Flagship will be a place where Torontonians and visitors to the city can connect, relax, and find products and services to create their own pleasant, comfortable lifestyle.
"During these four years since we expanded to Canada, we opened seven additional stores and gradually increased our range of products and services," says Toru Akita, president of MUJI Canada. "By allowing us to reach out to more people and to further convey our philosophy, the Atrium flagship store will open a new chapter for MUJI in Canada. Through interactive events, innovative projects, and new partnerships, we wish to connect and evolve together with local communities and contribute to the creation of a better quality of life."
This location will carry MUJI Canada's full range of merchandise of more than 4,000 items—including household goods, apparel, and food—and offer many products and services only available in select MUJI flagship stores around the world. A few of these are outlined below:
- Coffee Counter: MUJI Canada has partnered with several Toronto-based coffee roasters who share the same philosophy in bringing together community, in order to offer different ethically sourced coffee selections at the store on a rotating basis. The coffee counter will serve simple and affordable coffee by the cup.
- Aroma Bar: Available for the first time in Eastern Canada, the Aroma Bar will allow customers to create a customized fragrance blend by choosing from more than 40 essential oils.
- MUJI YOURSELF (New and exclusive services): The MUJI YOURSELF in-store customization features various services such as embroidery, stamps, sticker printing, and alterations. Additionally, for the first time outside of Japan, MUJI Atrium will feature two new customization services for customers to personalize their MUJI products:
- The Digital Fabric Printing Service will allow customers to print a photo directly from their phone on to select MUJI apparel and home fabric items.
- The Laser Engraving Service will allow customers to have letters engraved onto a vast selection of MUJI products such as business card holders, pencil cases, trays, and small storage units.
Along with its new services, MUJI Atrium will be the only location in Eastern Canada to carry books, made-to-order curtains and rugs, the MUJI Labo collection, maternity wear, a brand new activewear collection and more.
Surrounding the flagship store's opening, the "What is MUJI?" pop-up exhibition will be held from November 19th to December 23rd, at the former location of MUJI Atrium. The mini exhibition will bring to life MUJI's philosophy by presenting the brand's most iconic products and illustrating the concept behind their design. Admission is free and weekly prize draws will be held for visitors. More information here.
On November 24th, Masaaki Kanai, Chairman of Ryohin Keikaku (MUJI's parent company), will present "The Philosophy and Design of MUJI", followed by a discussion with guests from related industries, at the University of Toronto. The presentation will look at the evolution of MUJI's strategies since its founding in 1980, and explore how the brand is heading towards the future while maintaining its ideology. Free admission with reservation. More information here.
Mujirushi Ryohin, MUJI in Japanese, translates as "no-brand quality goods." MUJI was founded in Japan in 1980 and now has more than 800 stores around the world, carrying more than 7,000 items. With the goal of making people's daily life pleasant, MUJI is globally recognized for its high-quality products that are functional, well designed and reasonably priced.
The company has five stores in Ontario and three stores in BC, including its first Canadian flagship in Vancouver. For more information, please visit http://www.muji.com/ca/ and follow @mujicanada on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
MUJI Atrium Canadian Flagship Store
Address: 595 Bay Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 2C2
Size: 19,110 sq. feet
Opening: Friday, November 23rd, 2018 at 10AM
SOURCE MUJI Canada
For further information: For media inquiries, please contact Sarah Duquette at [email protected] or 1.866.440.4034