Customers will now receive 12 bills a year instead of six
TORONTO, Sept. 1, 2016 /CNW/ - Toronto Hydro customers will soon start receiving their electricity bills each month, as all electrical utilities in the province switch to monthly billing.
Currently, our billing cycle covers two months of electricity use. Customers will now begin receiving bills that represent approximately 30 days of electricity use. This change is happening in phases, and customers will begin receiving their monthly bills this fall with everyone transitioned by January.
Monthly billing can help customers manage energy costs, allowing for a more current view of how their energy habits impact their bill. More frequent billing also makes it easier to manage household budgets and aligns with other organizations that bill monthly (such as gas and telephone).
One way to make the transition easy is to switch to eBills, as they are:
- Convenient – customers receive an email when their new bill is ready to view. Bills can be paid online from anywhere with internet access
- Environmentally friendly – going paperless will reduce environmental impacts and eliminate messy stacks of paper that clutter the home
Customers can also enroll in our Pre-Authorized Payment Plan and have their billed amount automatically debited from their bank account for no-worry payments.
- The Ontario Energy Board requires all electrical utilities in the province to transition to monthly billing by the end of 2016
- We'll be sending phone messages and postcards directly to customers to notify them of the change
- Pre-Authorized Payment Plans will be automatically transitioned to align with monthly billing due dates. The amount due will be debited monthly instead of bi-monthly, so customers should be aware of this change
- Customers can sign up for eBilling through Toronto Hydro's self-service portal, MyTorontoHydro®, using a copy of their current paper bill (to reference their Toronto Hydro account number)
"Monthly billing makes sense for our customers. People are used to paying bills each month, such as cell phone and gas bills. This will align with other household costs and help customers keep an eye on their energy use more closely."
- Tori Gass, Spokesperson, Toronto Hydro
ABOUT TORONTO HYDRO
Toronto Hydro owns and operates an electricity distribution system, which delivers electricity to approximately 758,000 customers located in the city of Toronto. It is the largest municipal electricity distribution company in Canada and distributes approximately 19% of the electricity consumed in the province of Ontario.
SOURCE Toronto Hydro Corporation
Video with caption: "VIDEO: Monthly billing is coming to Toronto Hydro customers.". Video available at: http://stream1.newswire.ca/cgi-bin/playback.cgi?file=20160901_C6918_VIDEO_EN_764129.mp4&posterurl=http%3A%2F%2Fphotos.newswire.ca%2Fimages%2F20160901_C6918_PHOTO_EN_764129.jpg&order=1&jdd=20160901&cnum=C6918
Image with caption: "Monthly billing is coming to Toronto Hydro customers. (CNW Group/Toronto Hydro Corporation)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160901_C6918_PHOTO_EN_764127.jpg