TORONTO , Feb. 24, 2014 /CNW/ - The Honourable Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport, spoke to the Rural Ontario Municipal Association and the Ontario Good Roads Association today to outline details of the New Building Canada Plan recently announced by Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
Economic Action Plan 2013 builds on our government's historic infrastructure investments, with $70 billion for public infrastructure over the next decade, including the $53 billion New Building Canada Plan for provincial, territorial and municipal infrastructure. The New Building Canada Plan is the largest and longest federal infrastructure plan in our nation's history. It continues to focus on projects that enhance economic growth, job creation and productivity.
As announced by Prime Minister Stephen Harper on February 13, 2014, key elements of the New Building Canada Plan have been established. The Honourable Denis Lebel, Minister of Infrastructure, Communities and Intergovernmental Affairs, will now seek input from the provinces and territories, and the Federation of Canadian Municipalities on outstanding parameters that will help inform the development of the New Building Canada Fund Terms and Conditions.
The Government of Canada is committed to ensuring a seamless transition from the 2007 Building Canada Plan to the New Building Canada Plan and is committed to launching the New Building Canada Fund by March 31, 2014.
- The New Building Canada Plan includes the $14-billion New Building Canada Fund.
- The Fund will provide $4 billion for projects of national significance and these projects will be selected on the basis of merit.
- Additionally, $10 billion in allocated funding is available for projects of national, regional and local significance, with $1 billion of that directed to small communities of fewer than 100,000 people.
- The conference brings together 2,500 municipal leaders from across Ontario and leading thinkers from around the world to discuss topics of local, provincial, national, and international importance.
"Our government understands the importance of providing transportation links to rural communities. The New Building Canada Plan will ensure small communities have stable, long-term and unprecedented access to funding for vital infrastructure projects that will contribute to the prosperity of all Canadians."
"The Government of Canada is improving life in rural communities across Ontario, and the New Building Canada Plan will be an important source of infrastructure funding for Canadian municipalities over the next ten years."
The Honourable Lisa Raitt
Minister of Transport
- PM announces details of historic 10-year infrastructure plan - Largest federal infrastructure investment in Canadian history will provide stable, long-term support, including for small communities.
SOURCE: Transport Canada
For further information:
Director of Communications
Office of the Honourable Lisa Raitt
Minister of Transport, Ottawa
Transport Canada, Ottawa
This news release may be made available in alternative formats for persons living with visual disabilities