TORONTO, June 12, 2015 /CNW/ - The Honourable Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport, delivered remarks today at the Economic Club of Canada in Toronto where she discussed how the Government of Canada's is enhancing the safety and efficiency of Canada's transportation system and gearing it towards the future.
Minister Raitt outlined how Transport Canada is supporting important projects and research programs to ensure that transportation benefits from evolving innovations such as connected vehicles, unmanned aerial vehicles, shore power technologies, and high-tech scheduling at ports. Minister Raitt also stressed the importance of regulating transportation in Canada to enhance national safety.
- Since 2006, the federal government has committed close to 1.8 billion dollars in direct funding to transit-related projects in the GTHA.
- Transport Canada recently announced a new class of rail tank car for the transportation of flammable liquids. The new standard is the result of collaboration with the United States, with a joint goal of strengthening the safety of the two countries' inter-connected rail networks.
"Transportation is one way our society is constantly evolving and offers us tremendous opportunity. We will continue to work with the private sector and our stakeholders to ensure the safety of Canadians as technology moves forward."
The Honorable Lisa Raitt
Minister of Transport
- Beyond Traffic: US DOT's 30 Year Framework for the Future
- Minister Raitt and U.S. Secretary Foxx announce next generation of stronger, safer rail tank cars
- ACTIVE-AURORA project launched at the University of Alberta
- Transport Canada consults on proposed changes to UAV safety regulations
- Transportation Development Centre, Transport Canada's central research and development branch
- Shipping in polar waters
- Gateways and Border Crossings Fund
- New Building Canada Plan
- Economic Club of Canada
This news release may be made available in alternative formats for persons living with visual disabilities.
SOURCE Transport Canada
For further information: Zach Segal, Press Secretary, Office of the Honourable Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport, Ottawa, 613-991-0700; Media Relations, Transport Canada, Ottawa, 613-993-0055