WINNIPEG, Oct. 10, 2014 /CNW/ - The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs, today announced recipients of the Minister of Veterans Affairs Commendation at a special ceremony in Winnipeg. The Commendation is being awarded to residents of Manitoba who have contributed to the care and well-being of Veterans or to the remembrance of the contributions, sacrifices, and achievements of Veterans. The recipients are as follows:
Gordon Criggar, Headingley, Manitoba
MCpl Clinton Fontaine, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Barry Mitchell, Winnipeg, Manitoba
George W. Stetina, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Christopher Young, Winnipeg, Manitoba
The Honourable Steven Fletcher, Member of Parliament for Charleswood–St. James–Assiniboia, also attended the Commendation ceremony and joined Minister Fantino earlier in the day for a visit to the Deer Lodge Centre Operational Stress Injury (OSI) Clinic, which is expanding its facility to better meet the needs of Veterans and their families.
While in Winnipeg, Minister Fantino also joined Lawrence Toet, Member of Parliament for Elmwood–Transcona, and Joy Smith, Member of Parliament for Kildonan–St. Paul, in honouring Veterans of the Second World War with limited-edition commemorative lapel pins and certificates of recognition.
- The Minister of Veterans Affairs Commendation was created in 2001 by warrant of the Governor General and with the approval of Queen Elizabeth II.
- The Commendation is intended primarily for Veterans, but may be awarded to non-Veterans in recognition of their service to the Veterans community.
- To date, the Minister of Veterans Affairs Commendation has been awarded to 34 residents of Saskatchewan and 32 residents of Manitoba.
- The Government of Canada is investing approximately $2 million over 10 years through Veterans Affairs Canada to improve services for Veterans and their families at the Deer Lodge Centre OSI Clinic.
- On September 10, 2014, the Honourable Julian Fantino announced a new national tribute for all living Canadian Veterans of the Second World War.
"It is a privilege to recognize the selfless efforts of these dedicated individuals who have given generously of their time and energy to support and care for our Veterans. Their exemplary contributions are indicative of the enormous respect and gratitude shared by all Canadians for the men and women who have served in uniform."
The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs
"I offer my heartfelt congratulations to these dedicated Manitobans for their commitment to Canada's Veterans. They are most deserving of this recognition and I applaud them for their efforts to better the lives of our men and women who have served in uniform."
The Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages and Regional Minister for Manitoba
"For almost a century, the Deer Lodge Centre has provided exceptional care and support to our brave men and women. I was pleased Minister Fantino was able to see the dedication and commitment the centre has to caring for Canada's Veterans firsthand."
The Honourable Steven Fletcher, Member of Parliament for Charleswood–St. James–Assiniboia
"To ensure our government is on the right track for Veterans, it is important we consult with both modern-day and traditional Veterans. I appreciate the time Minister Fantino took to hear the concerns of our brave men and women in Elmwood–Transcona firsthand."
Lawrence Toet, Member of Parliament for Elmwood–Transcona
"It was an honour to join Minister Fantino in presenting Second World War Veterans, right here in Kildonan–St. Paul, with a commemorative certificate and lapel pin in recognition of their service. We will never forget the remarkable contributions of Canada's brave men and woman in this conflict."
Joy Smith, Member of Parliament for Kildonan–St. Paul
"Deer Lodge Centre is proud of its tradition of support for the military and Veterans. The Government of Canada support will help increase and improve the vital service we deliver to the military, RCMP and Veterans."
Kevin Scott, Executive Director of Operations, Deer Lodge Centre
Government of Canada Commemorates the 75th Anniversary of Canada's Engagement in the Second World War http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=891619
- Minister of Veterans Affairs Commendation – List of 2014 recipients
- Minister of Veterans Affairs Commendation – Backgrounder
- Second World War 75th Anniversary Tribute – List of recipients
- Tribute to Mark 75th Anniversary of Canada's Engagement in the Second World War – Frequently Asked Questions
- Harper Government Announces Expansion of Operational Stress Injury Clinic – News Release
Image with caption: "Minister Fantino and MP Fletcher presents commendations to Manitoba residents (l-r) Barry Mitchell, George W. Stetina, Gordan Criggar and MCpl Clinton Fontaine. (CNW Group/Veterans Affairs Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20141010_C2836_PHOTO_EN_6597.jpg
SOURCE: Veterans Affairs Canada
For further information: Contacts: Barbara Mottram, Director of Communications, Office of the Minister of Veterans of Affairs, 613-996-4649 ; Media Relations, Veterans Affairs Canada, 613-992-7468