Canadian business leader, engineer and philanthropist gives eight-figure donation to fund research and scholarships
MONTREAL, Sept. 24, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - A Concordia donor, who arrived in Canada from Iran in 1979 and earned a PhD in building engineering from the university, credits much of her success to the scholarship that allowed her to pursue graduate studies.
Four decades later, this business leader, engineer and philanthropist is making a transformative gift to inspire Canada's next generation of students and help them succeed as she did.
In recognition of her gift to the "Campaign for Concordia: Next-Gen. Now," the university is naming its faculty of engineering and computer science in her honour.
Journalists are invited to meet this inspiring woman and learn more about her gift — and her compelling story — during a major announcement in the presence of elected officials:
- When: Monday, September 24, 2018 — announcement from 11 a.m. to noon; media interviews from noon to 12:30*
- Where: D.B. Clarke Theatre, Henry F. Hall Bldg., 1455 De Maisonneuve W. Blvd., Montreal, QC, Canada
- Speakers will include:
- David Lametti, Parliamentary Secretary to the Government of Canada Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Member of Parliament for LaSalle—Émard—Verdun
- Hélène David, Minister responsible for Higher Education and the Status of Women, Government of Quebec
- Sue Montgomery, Mayor, Côte-des-Neiges–Notre-Dame-de-Grâce
- Alan Shepard, Concordia President
- Amir Asif, Dean, Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science
- Fay Arjomandi, BEng 98, emcee; founder and chief product officer at mimik; chairperson of h2 Wellness
- Live stream: Watch this event live, as of 11 a.m., on the Campaign for Concordia website: www.concordia.ca/campaign.
- *Broadcast interviews can be booked — live or pre-taped — between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. at Concordia University studios.
SOURCE Concordia University
For further information: Media contacts: Fiona Downey, Senior Advisor, Public Affairs and Deputy Spokesperson, Concordia University, Tel.: 514-848-2424, ext. 2518, Cell: 514-518-3336, Email: [email protected]; Nadia Kherif, Media Relations Advisor, Public Affairs, Concordia University, Tel.: 514-848-2424, ext. 4187, Cell : 514-262-0909, Courriel: [email protected]