TORONTO, June 12, 2014 /CNW/ - Elections Ontario announces that 24,351 polls successfully opened across the province this morning, with 10 polls reporting minor delays. As a result, polling hours have been extended at the 10 polls in three electoral districts, and election results in these three electoral districts will not be released until these polls are closed.
The returning officers for the affected districts have been directed to extend voting hours by Ontario's Chief Electoral Officer, Greg Essensa.
The affected polls are:
ED018 Dufferin Caledon
- Margaret Dunn Library (Polls #123, #124, #125, #126, #127) - voting extended by 30 minutes to 9:30 p.m. (ET)
- FLY CONDOMINIUM (Poll #578) - voting extended by 30 minutes to 9:30 p.m. (ET)
- LUMIERE CONDOMINIUM ON BAY (Poll #556) - voting extended by 30 minutes to 9:30 p.m. (ET)
- LEONARDO COURT (Poll #414) - voting extended by 30 minutes to 9:30 p.m. (ET)
ED035 Kenora-Rainy River
- BAND OFFICE MITAANJIGAMIING FIRST NATION (Poll #155) - voting extended voting by 1 hour to 9 pm (CT)
- BAND OFFICE NAICATCHEWENIN FIRST NATION (Poll #154) - voting extended voting by 1 hour to 9 pm (CT)
Section 40 (5) of the Ontario Election Act provides for the Chief Electoral Officer to extend the closing time of a poll if voting is interrupted during polling hours. Polling hours normally run from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET.
Elections Ontario is the non-partisan agency responsible for administering provincial elections, by-elections and referenda.
SOURCE: Elections Ontario
For further information:
Elections Ontario Media Relations:
416.212.6186 / 1.866.252.2152
Disponible en français