Stock market symbol
TORONTO, Oct. 13, 2017 /CNW/ - MCAN Mortgage Corporation ("MCAN", the "Company" or "we") announced today that it has declared a dividend of $0.37 per share payable on January 2, 2018 to common shareholders of record as of December 15, 2017. This declared dividend represents an increase of $0.05 per share from the prior quarterly rate and is the fourth dividend increase in three years.
The dividend increase has been determined following MCAN's annual strategic planning process and is consistent with our dividend policy and the trending in taxable income noted in the 2017 Second Quarter Management's Discussion & Analysis.
"This dividend increase reflects our confidence in the strength of our core business we currently see and expect going forward", said Bill Jandrisits, MCAN's President and Chief Executive Officer.
Dividend Reinvestment Plan
MCAN maintains a Dividend Reinvestment Plan ("DRIP"). The DRIP is a program that provides MCAN with a reliable source of new capital and existing shareholders with an opportunity to acquire additional shares at a discount to market value. Under the DRIP, dividends paid to shareholders are automatically reinvested in common shares issued out of treasury at the weighted average trading price for the 5 days preceding such issue less a discount of 2%. For further information on how to enrol in the DRIP, please refer to the Management Information Circular dated March 10, 2017 or visit our website at www.mcanmortgage.com/investor-relations/investor-materials.
MCAN is a public company listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange ("TSX") under the symbol MKP and is a reporting issuer in all provinces and territories in Canada. MCAN also qualifies as a mortgage investment corporation ("MIC") under the Income Tax Act (Canada) (the "Tax Act").
MCAN's primary objective is to generate a reliable stream of income by investing its corporate funds in a portfolio of mortgages (including single family residential, residential construction, non-residential construction and commercial loans), as well as other types of financial investments, loans and real estate investments. MCAN employs leverage by issuing term deposits eligible for Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation deposit insurance up to a maximum of five times capital (on a non-consolidated tax basis in the MIC entity) as permitted by the Tax Act. The term deposits are sourced through a network of independent financial agents. As a MIC, MCAN is entitled to deduct from income for tax purposes 100% of dividends, except for capital gains dividends, which are deducted at 50%. Such dividends are received by the shareholders as interest income and capital gains dividends, respectively.
MCAN's wholly-owned subsidiary, XMC Mortgage Corporation, is an originator of residential first-charge mortgage products across Canada. As such, XMC Mortgage Corporation operates primarily in one industry segment through its sales team and mortgage brokers.
MCAN is also an NHA MBS issuer.
A CAUTION ABOUT FORWARD-LOOKING INFORMATION AND STATEMENTS
This press release contains "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of applicable Canadian securities laws. The words "may," "believe," "will," "anticipate," "expect," "planned," "estimate," "project," "future," and other expressions that are predictions of or indicate future events and trends and that do not relate to historical matters identify forward-looking statements. Such statements reflect management's current beliefs and are based on information currently available to management. The forward-looking statements in this press release include, among others, statements and assumptions with respect to:
- the current business environment and outlook;
- possible or assumed future results;
- ability to create shareholder value; and
- business goals and strategy.
The material factors or assumptions that were identified and applied by us in drawing conclusions or making forecasts or projections set out in the forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to:
- the Company's ability to successfully implement and realize on its business goals and strategy;
- factors and assumptions regarding interest rates;
- housing sales and residential mortgage borrowing activities;
- the effect of competition;
- government regulation of the Company's business;
- computer failure or security breaches;
- future capital and funding requirements;
- the value of mortgage originations;
- the expected margin between interest earned on mortgage portfolios and interest paid on deposits;
- the relative continued health of real estate markets;
- acceptance of the Company's products in the marketplace;
- availability of key personnel;
- the Company's operating cost structure; and
- the current tax regime.
Reliance should not be placed on forward-looking statements because they involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors, which may cause the actual results to differ materially from the anticipated future results expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those set forth in the forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to:
- global market activity;
- worldwide demand for and related impact on oil and other commodity prices;
- changes in government and economic policy;
- changes in general economic, real estate and other conditions;
- changes in interest rates;
- changes in MBS spreads and swap rates;
- MBS and mortgage prepayment rates;
- mortgage rate and availability changes;
- adverse legislation or regulation;
- availability of MBS issuer allocation;
- technology changes;
- confidence levels of consumers;
- ability to raise capital and term deposits on favourable terms;
- our debt and leverage;
- competitive conditions in the homebuilding industry, including product and pricing pressures;
- ability to retain our executive officers and other employees;
- litigation risk;
- relationships with our mortgage originators; and
- additional risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond our control, referred to in this press release and our other public filings with the applicable Canadian regulatory authorities.
Subject to applicable securities law requirements, we undertake no obligation to publicly update any forward- looking statements whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. However, any further disclosures made on related subjects in subsequent reports should be consulted.
SOURCE MCAN Mortgage Corporation
For further information: MCAN Mortgage Corporation, Website: www.mcanmortgage.com, email: [email protected]; William Jandrisits, President and Chief Executive Officer, (416) 591-2726; Jeff Bouganim, Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, (416) 203-5935