MONTREAL, March 14, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - Kruger Inc. reacted today to the U.S. Department of Commerce's preliminary ruling to impose antidumping duties of 22.16% on its newsprint and other uncoated publication papers shipped to the U.S., in addition to the 9.93% countervailing duties from January's preliminary decision, which brings the total duties for Kruger to 32.09%.
The Company is disappointed with a decision that is not only unfair but also unfounded considering that an investigation would demonstrate clearly that Kruger does not engage in dumping activities. In fact, Kruger has been pulled into the current environment of broader trade disputes and is subject to rulings that are inconsistent with its business practices. Kruger intends to avail itself of all legal options to vigorously defend its position as Commerce and the USITC move toward a final determination.
These duties will directly affect three of Kruger's paper mills, namely its Trois-Rivières and Brompton facilities in Québec, and its Corner Brook Mill in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Kruger is committed to working closely with its employees, unions, suppliers, business partners, governments and customers to minimize the impact of these duties and ensure the viability of its operations.
The Company urges the Canadian government to make all necessary representations with Commerce and USITC to reverse this decision.
Founded in 1904, Kruger Inc. is a major producer of publication and specialty papers, tissue products, containerboard and packaging made from recycled fibres, renewable energy, cellulosic biomaterials, and wines and spirits. The Company is also a leader in paper and paperboard recycling in North America. Kruger Inc. has facilities in Québec, Ontario, British Columbia, and Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as in Tennessee, Maine, New York, Virginia and Rhode Island in the United States. www.kruger.com
SOURCE Kruger Inc.
For further information: Jean Majeau, Senior Vice President, Corporate Affairs and Communications, Tel.: (514) 343-3213, firstname.lastname@example.org