Guests aboard the Queen Mary 2 will have an exclusive opportunity to bid on items
Piece of luggage from Judy Garland Collection with original Cunard Line label
VALENCIA, Calif., April 26, 2017 /CNW/ -- Julien's Auctions, the world record breaking auction house to the stars and Cunard, the cruise line known around the world for glamourous ocean travel, will pay homage to Hollywood icon Judy Garland when flagship Queen Mary 2 showcases highlights from the largest collection of her costumes to ever go to auction on the August 12-19, 2017 Transatlantic Crossing, departing out of New York.
Julien's Auctions will exhibit highlights from Michael Siewert's renowned Judy Garland Collection for guests to view and place bids on prior to the Icons & Idols: Hollywood auction in Los Angeles in September, 2017. Siewert is known as one of the foremost authorities on Judy Garland and has the largest collection in the world of items from her life and career. This collection is comprised of extraordinary film costumes, personal items such as props, signed contracts and photographs, and a piece of luggage Judy used when she traveled on a Cunard ocean liner in the late 1940s.
Highlights that will exhibit on board include:
- A petal pink turn-of-the-century slip worn by Garland in Meet Me in St Louis (Estimate: $3,000-$5,000)
- A red velvet ball gown she donned while singing "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (Estimate: $4,000-$6,000)
- A dress worn while performing "Born in a Trunk" in her Academy Award®-nominated and Golden Globe®-winning role in A Star is Born (Estimate: $4,000-$6,000)
- A deep turquoise waistcoat also from the film A Star is Born (Estimate: $2,000-$4,000)
- A custom-made embellished cream ensemble worn by Judy in her 1964 wedding to Mark Heron, and on her 1965 appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show (Estimate:$3,000-$5,000)
- A slender ivory gown worn by Judy Garland while performing "In Your Easter Bonnet" with Fred Astaire in Easter Parade (1948) (Estimate: $4,000-$6,000)
- A burnt orange and ivory dress worn by Garland Manuela Alva in The Pirate (1948) (Estimate: $4,000-$6,000)
- Other items on display will include signed checks, scripts, jewelry and more
"We are honored to have the opportunity to sail across the Atlantic on board Cunard's Queen Mary 2 with this exquisite Judy Garland Collection," said Martin Nolan, Executive Director of Julien's Auctions. "A highlight will be a piece of Judy's luggage which is marked with a Cunard First Class luggage label, as Judy herself traveled with the venerable cruise line."
On the eight-night, eastbound Transatlantic Crossing out of New York, guests will enjoy:
- A daily, rotating exhibit of Judy Garland memorabilia
- Exclusive opportunity to bid on choice items in advance of the general auction which will be held at Julien's Auctions in Los Angeles in September, 2017.
- Q&A with Darren Julien, President and CEO of Julien's Auctions and Martin Nolan, Executive Director of Julien's Auctions.
- Q&A with Judy Garland collector Michael Siewert
"We are always looking for ways to offer our guests one-of-a-kind travel experiences," said Josh Leibowitz, senior vice president, Cunard North America. "We are excited to continue our partnership with Julien's Auctions and offer an exclusive opportunity to view this treasured collection from the life of Judy Garland, who was a Cunarder herself."
For travel agents interested in further information, please contact your Business Development Manager, visit OneSource or call Cunard toll free at 1-800-528-6273.
For more information about Queen Mary 2, or to book a voyage, contact your Travel Consultant, call Cunard Line at 1-800-728-6273 or visit www.cunard.com.
Defining true excellence at sea with over 176 years of legendary voyages, Cunard is the operator of luxury ocean liners Queen Mary 2®, Queen Victoria® and Queen Elizabeth®. Renowned for impeccable White Star Service, gourmet dining and world-class entertainment, all three Queens offer luxury on a grand scale in Britannia, Britannia Club, Princess Grill and Queens Grill accommodation. Cunard is the only line to offer regularly scheduled Transatlantic service and continues the legacy of world cruising which it began in 1922. Awarded '#1 Mega-Ship Ocean Cruise Line' by Travel + Leisure's 2016 World's Best Awards and 'Best World Cruise Itineraries' and 'Best Trans-Atlantic Itineraries' by Porthole Cruise Magazine's 2016 Readers Choice Awards, Cunard is a proud member of World's Leading Cruise Lines, a part of Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK), the largest cruise vacation company in the world. Together Cunard, Carnival Cruise Line, Fathom, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Seabourn, AIDA Cruises, Costa Cruises, P&O Cruises (Australia) and P&O Cruises (UK) operate 102 ships visiting over 700 ports around the world and totaling 226,000 lower berths.
Cunard photography is available online at www.cunard3queens.com.
Julien's Auctions is the world-record breaking auction house to the stars. Collaborating with the famous and the exclusive, Julien's Auctions produces high profile auctions in the film, music, sports and art markets. Julien's Auctions has received international recognition for its unique and innovative auction events which attract thousands of collectors, investors, fans and enthusiasts from around the world. Julien's Auctions specializes in sales of iconic artifacts and notable collections including Marilyn Monroe, John Lennon, Ringo Starr, Lady Gaga, Banksy, Cher, Michael Jackson, U2, Barbra Streisand, Les Paul, Bob Hope, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Jimi Hendrix and many more. In 2016, Julien's Auctions received its second placement in the Guinness Book of World Records for the sale of the world's most expensive dress ever sold at auction, The Marilyn Monroe "Happy Birthday Mr. President" dress which sold for $4.8 million. Julien's Auctions achieved placement in the Guinness Book of World Records in 2009 for the sale of Michael Jackson's white glove which sold for $480,000 making it the most expensive glove ever sold at auction. Based in Los Angeles, Julien's Auctions has a global presence bringing their auctions and exhibitions to targeted destinations worldwide including London, New York, Las Vegas, Japan and China. Live auctions are presented for bidders on-site and online via live streaming video and mobile technology. For more information on Julien's Auctions go to www.juliensauctions.com. Connect with Julien's Auctions at www.facebook.com/JuliensAuctions or www.twitter.com/JuliensAuctions or www.instagram.com/juliens_auctions.
Press Contact for Julien's Auctions
SOURCE Cunard Line