TORONTO, Aug. 13, 2018 /CNW/ - Journalists for Human Rights is pleased to announce the 2018 call for nominations for journalists who have made a significant contribution to human rights journalism.
"JHR defines human rights journalism as coverage that directs attention to key human rights issues, in a way that triggers significant positive impact," says JHR Executive Director Rachel Pulfer. "JHR believes it is crucial for such courageous, life-changing work to be recognized and celebrated on an annual basis."
In 2015 the Achievement Human Rights Reporting Award was presented to Christiane Amanpour of CNN who was recognized for her relentless commitment to principles of human rights.
In 2016, JHR recognized Paul Barnsley of Aboriginal Peoples Television Network for a lifetime of work ensuring the voices and stories of Indigenous peoples in Canada are integral to the national conversation.
In 2017, JHR recognized Sara Mojtehedzadeh of the Toronto Star. Sara won for her powerful and tenacious reporting on workers' rights in Ontario, which changed legislation to ensure fairer outcomes for workers and stronger oversight for laws governing temp workers' rights in particular.
This year, the award winner will receive:
- public recognition
- a cash prize
- the opportunity to participate as an expert mentor on a JHR trip to an existing JHR project of their choice.
This year, to celebrate putting human rights in the headlines worldwide, we are soliciting nominations from around the world.
- the individual or team nominated must have played a key role ensuring that human rights are front and centre of coverage.
- Through that person or team's coverage, those who have historically been left out of important public conversations about issues that affect them are able to take their place, make their voices heard
- Positive change has happened as a result of that work.
Please nominate your contender, or nominate yourself, click on the link below for more information and the nomination form.
Nominations are due September 10th. You can nominate here.
All submissions will be reviewed by JHR's award committee, and a shortlist will be announced two weeks before the gala. The award will be presented to the winner on October 1 at JHR's Night for Rights.
- Our thanks to CNW Group for sponsoring this announcement
SOURCE Journalists for Human Rights (JHR)
For further information: please contact Janine deVries at 416 413 0240 x 210 or Janine@jhr.ca