GATINEAU, QC, June 9, 2016 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development, announced that the Government of Canada has launched a process for the recruitment of Social Security Tribunal members via the new Governor in Council appointment process announced by the Prime Minister in February 2016.
The Government is looking for individuals from across the country interested in joining the Tribunal as a member and encourages them to apply to this new process. The Tribunal renders fair and impartial decisions on appeals regarding Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Old Age Security (OAS) and Employment Insurance (EI) claims for benefits.
To learn more about the Tribunal and how to become a member, visit Governor in Council Appointments.
"This announcement supports the Government of Canada's commitment on being open and transparent, representative of Canada's diversity, and merit-based. Government must serve the public interest, and remain accountable to Canadians."
– The Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development
- On February 25, 2016, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced a more rigorous approach to Governor in Council appointments – one where an open, transparent, and merit-based selection process will support ministers in making appointment recommendations for positions within their portfolio.
- As an administrative tribunal with quasi-judicial powers, the Social Security Tribunal of Canada has the responsibility of making decisions on appeals from Employment and Social Development relating to the CPP, OAS and decisions of the Canada Employment Insurance Commission on EI matters.
- The Tribunal comprises two levels of appeal. The General Division, the first level, includes two sections: an EI section for EI appeals and an Income Security section for CPP and OAS appeals. The Appeal Division is the second level and hears appeals from both Sections of the General Division.
- Learn more about Governor in Council Appointments and the Social Security Tribunal.
- Visit the Governor in Council Appointment website for current and ongoing opportunities.
- Prime Minister's announcement of the new Governor in Council appointment process, February 2016.
SOURCE Employment and Social Development Canada
For further information: Media Relations Office, Employment and Social Development Canada, 819-994-5559, firstname.lastname@example.org