CAA South Central Ontario expects to help close to half a million people on the road this summer with TripTik®, tows, battery assist, lock-outs and gas top-ups
THORNHILL, ON, June 21, 2018 /CNW/ - With summer on the horizon and kids almost out of school, more cars will be on Ontario roads heading to the cottage, long-weekend getaways and summer vacations.
CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) expects to help half a million members on the roadside this summer and will prepare close to 20,000 Trip Tik maps, that help drivers get where they need to go safely. Last summer, over 80,000 members used CAA's mobile Battery Service, over 100,000 were assisted with light service needs like gas top-ups and locking keys in the car, and over 230,000 members received roadside tows.
The top destinations people are headed to on the road this summer are largely domestic:
3. The Maritimes (PEI, NS)
4. British Columbia & Alberta
6. New York State
"Everyone loves the prospect of getting out on the road and exploring with friends and family during the summer months," said Kaitlynn Furse, manager, public relations, CAA SCO. "It is important however that motorists do their research and prepare for road trips and long drives. Hot days and busy roads during the summer can lead to unexpected circumstances. Following some easy pre-trip tips can go a long way to help you avoid delays and breakdowns."
Below are CAA SCO's top tips for drivers to follow this summer to stay safe and enjoy the ride.
Get your car ready for summer:
- Check tire pressure and condition: Underinflated tires are more prone to blowouts and poor handling and wear. The same goes for worn tires.
- Check fluids such as coolant and oil: As they reach end of life, performance suffers and can result in breakdowns.
- Make sure your air conditioner is working properly: The last thing you want is a car full of people and a sudden loss of air conditioning.
- Pack extra summer washer fluid: Summer drives often come with lots of bugs, so have extra on hand to ensure your windshield is always clear.
- Stock up your emergency kit: At a minimum, a good summer kit should include food and water in case of breakdown, flares, gloves in case you have to change a tire, and an extra battery pack for cell phones.
If you are unsure of the last time a maintenance check was done on your car, consider doing a full mechanical inspection to find any problems before you leave. CAA's Approved Auto Repair Services (AARS) facilities offer 139-point inspections that provide peace of mind prior to travel.
How to stay safe on road trips and long drives:
- Plan your route ahead of time and bring a map as a backup to your GPS.
- Check the weather forecast before you leave.
- Pack the correct travel and personal documents depending on your destination.
- Share your route and timing with someone.
- When driving long distances, give yourself plenty of breaks from driving and ensure you are well rested before you get behind the wheel.
- Follow a daily driving maximum of 800 km per day with 15-minute breaks every two hours.
- Don't let your gas tank get below half full before you stop to re-fill.
- Pack your CAA Membership card for peace of mind on the road.
Tips to save money and gas along the way:
- Keep tires properly inflated.
- Reduce highway speed; fuel consumption starts to increase above 90km/hr.
- Avoid jackrabbit starts and hard braking.
- Plan your route to avoid backtracking and unnecessary mileage.
- Use air conditioning and seat heaters sparingly.
- Close your windows and sunroof during highway driving.
- Use cruise control on highways and save fuel by keeping the vehicle's speed constant.
CAA SCO can also speak to what to do in the event of a collision or should you become stranded, a consumer's rights should they need a tow, things to consider when travelling out of province and attractions, towns and restaurants to try this summer.
About CAA South Central Ontario
For over a hundred years, CAA has been helping Canadians stay mobile, safe and protected. CAA South Central Ontario is one of eight auto clubs across Canada providing roadside assistance, travel, insurance services and Member savings for our over 2 million Members.
SOURCE CAA South Central Ontario
For further information: Kaitlynn Furse, PR Manager, C: (647) 227-7559, E: email@example.com; Nadia Matos, PR Specialist, C: (416) 523-0663, E: firstname.lastname@example.org