TORONTO, May 29, 2017 /CNW/ - As of May 29, 2017, preliminary figures indicate that 3,065 voters cast their ballot at advance polls in the Sault Ste. Marie by-election. In comparison, 3,966 voters cast their ballot at advance polls in Sault Ste. Marie in the 2014 General Election.
Advance polling took place between May 20, 2017 and May 26, 2017. Voters also had the opportunity to vote in person by special ballot at the local returning office, by home visit, or by mail.
Election day is on June 1, 2017. An estimated 62,944 eligible voters will be able to cast their ballot in the Sault Ste. Marie provincial by-election. Eligible voters are encouraged to visit elections.on.ca to find out where, when and how to vote.
There are 7 candidates running to fill the seat as Member of Provincial Parliament for the electoral district of Sault Ste. Marie. A complete list of candidates is available at elections.on.ca.
On election day, there will be approximately 400 election workers at 52 voting locations across the electoral district of Sault Ste. Marie.
For more information visit elections.on.ca or call 1-888-668-8683 (TTY: 1-888-292-2312).
Elections Ontario is the non-partisan agency responsible for administering provincial elections, by-elections and referenda.
Fast Facts for Media
- A blackout on political advertising begins at midnight on May 30, 2017 (Eastern Time) and ends at 11:59 P.M. (Eastern Time) on June 1, 2017.
- The publication of election surveys that have not previously been made public is prohibited between midnight (Eastern Time) on May 31, 2017 and 9:00 P.M. (Eastern Time) on June 1, 2017.
- Filming or photography is not permitted in the polls, except for a photo opportunity of a candidate casting their ballot. Photo opportunities must be arranged between the candidate and the local Sault Ste. Marie Returning Officer.
- Media representatives may make arrangements with the Sault Ste. Marie Returning Officer to be present at the local returning office following the close of polls at 9:00 P.M. (Eastern Time) on June 1, 2017.
- Unofficial election results will be available at elections.on.ca after the close of polls at 9:00 P.M. (Eastern Time) on June 1, 2017.
Disponible en français
SOURCE Elections Ontario
For further information: For media inquiries: Elections Ontario Media Relations, 1-866-252-2152, firstname.lastname@example.org