- 82% of Quebecers say they are concerned about the drop-out rate from high school
- 38% of parents of children under 17 are worried that their children won't finish high school
MONTREAL, Oct. 22, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ - The Lucie and André Chagnon Foundation revealed today the results of a survey on promoting education and student retention in Quebec. A few highlights clearly show that the general public wants concrete measures to be taken to help children develop fully and successfully finish high school:
- When asked what they considered would be an acceptable graduation rate from high school in Quebec, Quebecers indicated that they would like 82% of students to obtain a high school diploma, which is the target rate for 2020 set by the Groupe d'action sur la persévérance et la réussite scolaires (80%). 53% of parents with young children would like their children to obtain a university degree.
- According to survey respondents, the groups that should be encouraged and supported in the fight against dropping out are, of course, the students themselves, but also parents and teachers.
- Various measures involving several different actors aimed at fighting dropping out of school were proposed to survey respondents. Some of these measures received enthusiastic support (for example, 87% wanted students who are having difficulty in school to have access to specialized services, 85% thought that the role of teachers should be valued, 84% thought that of parents should be valued, and 87% wanted educators, teachers and all personnel in the teaching milieu to receive appropriate training and development opportunities).
- Opinion was divided on how investment resources should be distributed to ensure student retention and academic success: 47% would like priority to be given to underprivileged sectors, while 53% think resources should be distributed equally throughout Quebec.
"As the Grandes rencontres sur la persévérance scolaire 2013 (a major conference on student retention) are set to begin on November 4, the Foundation hopes that these survey results will serve as a reference point for all those who are working together to ensure the healthy development and educational success of children and youth in Quebec," said Claude Chagnon, President of the Lucie and André Chagnon Foundation. "I know that we at the Foundation will be sure to take these results into consideration when planning our actions in this area."
To consult the survey (in French only), please go to http://fondationchagnon.org/en/news/2013/dropping-out-quebecers-want-action.aspx
About the survey
Between September 12 and October 4, 2013, the Léger firm asked 3,025 Quebecers (men and women) aged 15 and over from across the province for their opinions on this social issue.
The main objectives of the survey were to:
- determine how respondents rank the issue of education and early childhood development in comparison with other major social issues in Quebec
- evaluate respondents' knowledge on the subject of dropping out of school and how important they consider this issue to be
- find out respondents' perceptions and attitudes regarding education, early childhood education, student retention, professional training, teachers, daycare educators, and the relationship between parents and teachers and, more broadly, with their children's school
- measure the importance given to different measures and actors who could have an impact on student retention and academic achievement in Quebec.
About the Lucie and André Chagnon Foundation
The mission of the Lucie and André Chagnon Foundation is to prevent poverty by contributing to the educational success of young people living in Quebec from conception to age 17 by helping them to develop their full potential. The Foundation has established partnerships with the Quebec government in order to support local and regional mobilization in areas that are critical to educational success: early childhood development, healthy lifestyle habits and student retention. The Foundation also provides support for awareness activities and tools for parents and Quebec society as a whole. For more information, visit www.fondationchagnon.org
Image with caption: "Dropping out: Quebecers want action! (CNW Group/FONDATION LUCIE ET ANDRE CHAGNON)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20131022_C5972_PHOTO_EN_32353.jpg
SOURCE: FONDATION LUCIE ET ANDRE CHAGNON
For further information:
Coordinator, Communications and Web
Fondation Lucie et André Chagnon
514-380-2001, ext. 1061