Minister Raitt tours the site of the latest project in revitalizing Marine Atlantic ferry services and shore facilities
NORTH SYDNEY, NS, Jan. 19, 2014 /CNW/ - The Honourable Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport, marked progress in the construction of Marine Atlantic's new terminal building in North Sydney, Nova Scotia, today as she toured the site. The Minister was joined by Cecil Clarke, Mayor of the Cape Breton Regional Municipality, and by Marine Atlantic's Chair of the Board of Directors, Rob Crosbie, and President and CEO, Paul Griffin.
The new terminal building is funded through the Government of Canada's five-year investment of $521 million in the revitalization of Marine Atlantic's fleet and shore facilities. It is due to open and be operational in 2015-16.
- The new North Sydney Terminal, estimated to cost $20 million, including design, site preparation and construction, will be modern, efficient, and environmentally friendly. It will offer amenities such as a commercial driver seating lounge area and provide closer access to downtown North Sydney businesses.
- Other improvements at North Sydney include a recently completed new building for stevedores (dock workers); renovations to the docks, an upgraded and expanded marshalling yard and new Marine Atlantic administration and warehouse facilities.
- Next steps include improvements to enhance safety and security and better serve customers, including upgrades to terminal and port infrastructure at all three of Marine Atlantic's ports at North Sydney and the Port aux Basques and Argentia terminal buildings in Newfoundland and Labrador.
"The Government of Canada continues to invest in renewing and improving Marine Atlantic's fleet and shore facilities, such as the new North Sydney terminal, because we recognize the importance of connecting the communities, businesses and economies of Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador. In addition to improving the safety, efficiency and reliability of its ferry services, the new terminal will bring economic benefits to the region."
The Honourable Lisa Raitt
Minister of Transport
"Marine Atlantic is excited about the potential of our new terminal building and the strengthened customer service opportunities that will be available. Working with Joneljim and Roclan Construction, local construction companies employing local people, we are seeing progress being made every day. We look forward to the ongoing construction phase and welcoming our customers to this state-of-the-art facility."
Marine Atlantic Inc. Chair of the Board of Directors
- Government of Canada invests over half a billion dollars in the revitalization of Marine Atlantic Inc. July 5, 2010 (Transport Canada)
- Contracts Awarded for the Construction of a New Terminal Building in North Sydney - August 20, 2013 (Marine Atlantic)
SOURCE: Government of Canada
For further information:
Director of Communications
Office of the Honourable Lisa Raitt
Minister of Transport, Ottawa
Transport Canada, Ottawa
Darrell Mercer, Corporate Communications
Marine Atlantic Inc.
709- 772-0073 or 709 727-2405
E-Mail: [email protected]
This news release may be made available in alternative formats for persons living with visual disabilities.