Platinum Card refreshed as company reaffirms its commitment to the premium segment
MARKHAM, ON, June 29, 2012 /CNW/ - American Express today announced the re-introduction of the iconic Platinum Card in Canada, building on its leadership position at the premium end of the card market. The refreshed Platinum Card will include a number of new benefits in addition to the existing benefits and services that Platinum members currently receive.
Many of the benefits and services are designed around travel and lifestyle experiences with Amex asserting that the Card is designed to deliver a heightened level of service and customer experience beyond that of a regular payment card.
"For our Platinum members, time is their most precious commodity, so they look for a Card program that provides exceptional service, access and expert knowledge to help make life run smoother," said Jennifer Hawkins, Vice President, Consumer Cards, American Express Canada. "In recent years we have seen an almost countless number of new platinum branded credit cards that have somewhat clouded the premium market. With this refresh we aim to remind people that the original Platinum Card is about much more than the colour of the plastic, it's truly about the wealth of experiences that Platinum membership can provide".
The Platinum Card's new suite of benefits enhances the travel and lifestyle experience to make this the most upscale Card program publically available in Canada.
New benefits include:
- Enhanced Lounge Access with Priority Pass™: Expanded lounge access now with a Complimentary membership in Priority Pass which allows Platinum members and one guest access to over 600 plus lounges internationally (valued at $399 annually).
- $200 Annual Travel Credit: Can be used once a year towards any single travel booking of $200 or more charged on the Platinum Card through the Platinum Card Travel Service, including flights, car rentals, hotels, vacation packages or cruise reservations. Plus, there are now no fees for any bookings made through Platinum Card Travel Service.
- More Perks at Toronto Pearson: Through a newly announced partnership with Canada's busiest airport, Platinum members enjoy priority security lane access through airport security at Terminal 1 and now Terminal 3, 15% parking, along with complimentary Valet Service. All benefits are slated to roll out by the end of 2012.
- Even More Hotel Membership Programs: In addition to the Starwood Preferred Guest Gold Preferred membership, Platinum members can now receive extras and upgrades at hotels around the world with their complimentary Club Carlson Gold Elite status and Le Club Accorhotels Platinum status memberships. Carlson and Accor hotel group properties around the world include Park Plaza, Sofitel and McGallery and Radisson.
- Complimentary Preferred Golf Membership for a full year: Platinum members will receive access to some of the world's most prestigious golf courses and fine resorts with their complimentary membership for a full year.
These new and enhanced benefits join a growing suite of existing premium benefits, features and services, including:
- Platinum Concierge: A full service personal concierge available 24/7 to provide premium service for advice, recommendations, small favours and major requests.
- Platinum Card Travel Service from Amex Canada Inc: A dedicated team of consultants that specialize in helping to enhance and enrich the busy lives of Platinum Card members by arranging all of their travel needs.
- Lounge Access: In addition to the complimentary Priority Pass membership now offered, Cardmembers have enjoyed lounge benefits including the Canadian Platinum Lounge Benefit, Airport Club Program and access to the Cathay Pacific Business Class lounges and oneworld® alliance airlines' Business Class lounges..
- Platinum Events, Access and Entertainment: Providing our Platinum members with access to a number of special events and unique opportunities that have been specially curated for them.
- Travel and Shopping Coverage: Platinum Card travel and purchase related insurance coverage offerings like Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, Emergency Medical, Car Rental Theft and Damage, Baggage Delay, Flight Delay, StandbyMDSM Travel Medical Concierge, Purchase Protection Plan and Buyer's Assurance® Protection Plan.
- Membership Rewards: Platinum members earn 1.25 Membership Rewards points for every dollar in purchases charged to their Card. These points are redeemable for a wide selection of merchandise, Platinum Concierge experiences, and gift cards. They can also be transferred to frequent flyer and hotel programs, including 1:1 to Aeroplan and Avios, or used to cover travel booked on the Card through TripFlex rewards.
"We understand the Platinum consumer - what matters to them, what motivates them, what inspires them - and we continually translate that deep knowledge into products and services that set new standards in the premium segment," says Hawkins. "With the launch of these new benefits, combined with a robust suite of existing ones, the Platinum Card offers value that more than offsets the $699 annual fee. It's Canada's passport to premium travel experiences and exceptional service and access."
Learn more about the benefits, services and access that the Platinum Card has to offer by visiting americanexpress.ca.
About American Express Canada
American Express in Canada operates as Amex Bank of Canada and Amex Canada Inc. Both are wholly owned subsidiaries of the New York based American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc., the largest operating unit of the American Express Company. Amex Bank of Canada is the issuer of American Express charge and credit cards, with outstanding products like the American Express(r) Gold Rewards Card, the Platinum Card (r), the American Expressr AeroplanPlus(r) Gold Card. Amex Canada Inc. operates the Corporate Travel and Travellers Cheques divisions in Canada. American Express opened its first offices in Toronto and Hamilton in 1853 and now employs 3,700 Canadians coast-to-coast. For more information, visit AmericanExpress.ca or connect with us at Facebook.com/AmericanExpressCanada.
For further information:
On behalf of American Express Canada
On behalf of American Express Canada