OTTAWA, July 30, 2016 /CNW/ -
Health Canada is informing Canadians that two unauthorized health products (listed in the table below) were seized from Next Level Fitness, in Richmond #130 - 12560 Bridgeport Road, Richmond, BC V6V 2N5 and at #108 - 13569 76 Ave, Surrey, BC, V3W 2W3 Surrey, B.C. The products TRT (Testosterone Booster) and Freak'n Test (Testosterone Enhancer) were labelled to contain a prescription drug substance (L-Dopa) that may pose serious health risks to Canadians.
Who is affected:
Consumers who have bought or used TRT or Freak'n Test, particularly consumers with heart conditions, high blood pressure or diabetes.
What consumers should do:
- Consult your doctor if you have used any of these two products and have health concerns.
- Read product labels to verify that health products have been authorized for sale by Health Canada. Authorized products have an eight-digit DIN, DIN-HM or NPN.. Products that have been authorized for sale can be found by searching the Drug Product Database and the Licensed Natural Health Product Database.
- Report any adverse events to Health Canada.
- Report complaints about health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free to 1-800-267-9675, or complete an online complaint form.
What Health Canada is doing:
Health Canada has seized the products from the retail location. Should additional retailers or distributors of these products be identified, Health Canada will take appropriate action and inform Canadians.
L-Dopa, also known as levodopa, is authorized as a prescription drug when combined with other drug ingredients in anti-Parkinson's medications. Levodopa may interact with drugs prescribed for high blood pressure, and should not be used by women who are pregnant, who plan to become pregnant or who are breastfeeding. It should also not be taken by people with narrow angle glaucoma; untreated heart, liver, kidney, lung or hormonal diseases; a history of melanoma, or those who should not take drugs such as isoproterenol, amphetamines or epinephrine. General symptoms that can occur while taking levodopa which require medical attention include: uncontrollable movements of the face, eyelids, mouth, tongue, neck, arms, hands, or legs; severe or persistent nausea or vomiting; an irregular heartbeat or fluttering in the chest; feeling lightheaded when standing quickly, or unusual changes in mood or behaviour.
Ingredients on the label
Ballistic Laboratories – TRT (Testosterone Booster)
Mucuna Pruriens (Velvet Bean extract (seeds) (standardized to 50% L-levodopa)
Freak N' Muscle Inc- Freak'n Test (Testosterone Enhancer)
Mucuna Pruriens 10% (L-dopa)
How to report side effects to health products to Health Canada:
- Call toll-free at 1-866-234-2345
- Visit MedEffect Canada's web page on Adverse Reaction Reporting for information on how to report online, by mail or by fax.
Stay connected with Health Canada and receive the latest advisories and product recalls using social media tools.
Également disponible en français
SOURCE Health Canada
For further information: Media Enquiries: Health Canada, (613) 957-2983; Public Enquiries: (613) 957-2991, 1-866 225-0709