TORONTO, May 26, 2018 /CNW/ - Advance voting for the 2018 General Election begins today and will go until May 30 at advance voting locations, and until June 1 at returning offices. Advance voting hours are from 10:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M. (Eastern Time).
Elections Ontario is modernizing the voting process by introducing technology in the polls. Electronic poll books (e-Poll books) and vote tabulators will be used across the province for advance voting. Election officials will use e-Poll books to strike voters names from the Voters List before providing them with their ballot. Voters will then cast their ballot using vote tabulators, delivering faster and improved service to Ontario's electors.
The number of electoral districts in Ontario is increasing from 107 to 124. Some electors may be voting in a different location or electoral district for this election. Voter Information Cards (VIC) with details about when and where to vote have been mailed to registered electors. Voters are reminded to bring their VIC and one piece of identification to vote. Voting location information is also available at www.elections.on.ca.
Canadian citizens who reside in Ontario and are at least 18 years of age on election day are eligible to vote. Ontario electors can find a list of acceptable identification documents, along with information about when and where to vote, at www.elections.on.ca.
"Elections Ontario is building modern services for modern voters, in a measured and principled way. We are introducing technology in the polls at advance voting locations across the province for the first time in a general election to offer electors a better voting experience."
— Greg Essensa, Ontario's Chief Electoral Officer
- On election day, 50% of the polls will have vote tabulators and e-Poll books serving 90% of electors.
- Assistive Voting Technology will be available in all returning offices and satellite offices from May 26 to June 6 at 6:00 P.M. (Eastern Time). To learn more about our accessible services visit www.elections.on.ca.
- Electors can vote by special ballot at a returning office or through home visit until 6:00 P.M. (Eastern Time) on June 6, 2018.
- A blackout on political advertising begins at midnight on June 5, 2018, and ends at 11:59 P.M. (Eastern Time) on June 7, 2018.
- The publication of election surveys that have not previously been made public is prohibited between midnight (Eastern Time) June 6, 2018, and 9:00 P.M. (Eastern Time) on June 7, 2018.
- Election day is June 7, 2018. Polls will be open from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M. (Eastern Time).
Elections Ontario is the non-partisan agency responsible for administering provincial elections, by-elections and referenda. For more information, visit elections.on.ca or call 1-888-668-8683 (TTY: 1-888-292-2312).
Aussi disponible en français
SOURCE Elections Ontario
For further information: Elections Ontario Media Relations, 1-866-252-2152, [email protected]