OTTAWA, Feb. 20, 2019 /CNW/ - The Media Technology Monitor (MTM), a research product of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC/Radio Canada), today announced the release of its latest Sneak Peek Report. The Report, which provides trend information in the area of technology ownership and usage, is based on telephone interviews with 8,000 Canadians and is released twice annually.
Key findings from the Sneak Peek include the following:
- Canadians are avid news consumers. Half tune in to watch a local news show in a typical night. When you examine the heaviest of TV Viewers (watching 15+ hours in a typical week) this number jumps to 75% who watch local news daily.
- About 1 in 5 Canadians have watched movie or TV content in a language other than French or English. Gen Z and those born outside of Canada are the most likely to watch content in something other than Canada's official languages (29% and 41% respectively).
- Radio is as popular as ever with a stability in usage for more than a decade. Close to 9 in 10 Canadians have listened to radio in the past month. Radio consumption is heavily tied to the commute and people listening in cars – two thirds of listeners tune in from their vehicle.
- 85% of online Canadians report having some level of concern surrounding the impact of fake news in the world today. Gen Zs (18-29) report a higher level of concern than other generations.
- Over 1 in 8 Canadians now own one with the majority being the Google Mini or the Google Home. With a variety of activities Canadians are doing with their smart speakers, three quarters are streaming music on these devices.
The MTM's Sneak Peek Report, as well as the English- and French-language Media and Technology Adoption Reports and the most recent Fall 2018 data set, are all available to subscribers on the MTM Portal.
To access a free version of the Sneak Peek Report, click here.
We also have an exciting new offering - MTM Junior! With over a decade of data available through the MTM on how adult Canadians (18+) are interacting with media on traditional and new platforms, we are now expanding our service to include young Canadians as well! MTM Junior is an annual survey which will focus on the media behaviours and activities of 2 to 17 year olds allowing you to better understand the media consumption habits of today's youngest audiences. Check out the link here to learn more.
About the MTM
The Media Technology Monitor (MTM©) is Canada's premier research product in the area of technology ownership and use. Based on 12,000 telephone interviews annually (including a cellphone-only sample), the MTM has spoken with over 140,000 Canadians (equally split between Anglophones and Francophones) over the past decade, making it the most accurate and comprehensive media technology tracking survey of its kind. For more information on the MTM please visit our Portal at www.mtm-otm.ca or call: 1-855-898-4999.
SOURCE The Media Technology Monitor (MTM)
For further information: Jenny Meadows, 613 288-6231