TORONTO, Dec. 6, 2018 /CNW/ - This year, Canadians danced their hearts out to Drake, yodeled in Walmart, and played a lot of Fortnite. As we prepare to head into 2019, it's time for the annual look back at the year in pop culture on YouTube.
2018 was marked by surprising celebrity moments. In February, Kylie Jenner surprised the world with To Our Daughter, an 11-minute film detailing her pregnancy and the birth of baby Stormi, which was watched over 53 million times on its way to becoming not only the top video in Canada, but the #1 Trending Video globally. Will Smith vlogged all over the world. Oh, and he also jumped out of a helicopter over the Grand Canyon on a dare from Yes Theory, a group of YouTube creators who met while studying in Montreal. Rihanna started her own makeup tutorial series. And of course, Beyoncé's livestream from Coachella gave fans a front-row seat for #Beychella.
Canadian creators were front and centre on the list of the Top Trending Videos in Canada - AsapSCIENCE once again solved the internet's latest mystery -- seriously, is it Yanny or Laurel?, Ryan Reynolds took a DIY approach to marketing Deadpool 2, and the EhBee Family showed off some serious Fortnite dance moves.
Canada cried along with YouTube's "Brad and Angelina" as Liza Koshy and David Dobrik shared the news of their breakup, celebrated with Meghan and Harry on their wedding day, and cheered on Rocket Man as he blasted into space.
Here are the moments that had Canada watching, commenting and sharing in 2018:
Canada's Top Trending Videos:
- To Our Daughter
- we broke up
- Do You Hear "Yanny" or "Laurel"? (SOLVED with SCIENCE)
- Paul McCartney Carpool Karaoke
- Walmart yodeling kid
- Deadpool, meet Cable
- The Royal Wedding 2018: Prince Harry and Miss Meghan Markle
- Falcon Heavy Test Flight
- FORTNIGHT DANCE CHALLENGE! - (In Real Life)
- 2018 US Open Highlights: Serena Williams' dispute overshadows Naomi Osaka's final win | ESPN
On the music side, the year mostly belonged to two artists. One gave away nearly $1M in his video, the other got down in living colour with Bruno Mars. That's right - Drake and Cardi B ruled Canada's earbuds in 2018, both appearing on our list of the top videos multiple times.
Canada's Top Music Videos:
- Maroon 5 - Girls Like You ft. Cardi B
- Drake - God's Plan
- Childish Gambino - This Is America (Official Video)
- Bruno Mars - Finesse (Remix) [Feat. Cardi B] [Official Video]
- Ariana Grande - no tears left to cry
- Post Malone - Psycho ft. Ty Dolla $ign
- Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin - I Like It [Official Music Video]
- Drake - Nice For What
- Lil Dicky - Freaky Friday feat. Chris Brown (Official Music Video)
- Dua Lipa - IDGAF (Official Music Video)
For more details, please visit the YouTube Rewind channel.
Logos and visual assets are available here.
SOURCE YouTube Canada