TORONTO, Dec. 17 /CNW/ - The Honourable Steven W. Mahoney, Chair of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB), today announced the Order in Council appointment of Estelle Marie Caines as the newest member of the WSIB's Board of Directors.
"I am very happy to welcome Ms. Caines to the Board, and I look forward to working with her to keep Ontario's workers safe," said Mahoney. "As an injured worker who has been through the WSIB's system herself, she brings a very unique perspective to the Board and the WSIB as an organization, understanding first-hand the needs and concerns of injured workers. Her extensive community involvement will also be highly valued."
Ms. Caines, of Dryden, relocated from Toronto to Northwestern Ontario in 1978. She worked as a hoist operator at the Red Lake Goldcorp Mine for 17 years, then returned to school via the WSIB's Labour Market Re-entry program where she attained a B.A. in Psychology and Conflict Resolution Studies from the University of Winnipeg/Menno Simons College along with an Applied Counselling Certificate from University of Manitoba.
Since graduating in 2002, Ms. Caines has been affiliated with Integrated Services Northwest, a program of Lake of the Woods Child Development Center where she is currently Director of Access Services. As such she travels extensively throughout Northwestern Ontario and maintains a broad perspective of life and work in northern communities.
Ms. Caines joins a distinguished and accomplished group of directors. As custodians of Ontario's workplace safety and insurance system, they are well-equipped to lead the WSIB through the challenges the system currently faces.
The current WSIB Board of Directors now comprises:
- Mr. Steven Mahoney, Chair, Workplace Safety & Insurance Board of
- Ms. Jill Hutcheon, President & CEO, Workplace Safety & Insurance
Board of Ontario
- Mr. Patrick Dillon, Business Manager of the Provincial Building and
Construction Trades Council of Ontario
- Ms. Marlene McGrath, HR Director, International Operations, 3M Canada
- Mr. Larry Barnett, Consultant, Teamsters Local Union 938 & Teamsters
- Mr. P. Morgan McCague, former Senior Vice-President, Asset Mix and
Risk, Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, current directorships with GCAN
Insurance Company, First Coverage and Excel Funds
- Ms. Sari Sairanen, National Health & Safety Director, CAW-Canada
- Ms. Lea M. Ray, Vice President of Corporate Finance for Warner Bros.
Entertainment Canada Inc. a division of Time Warner
- Mr. Louis Rene Girard, Consultant, Global Logistics & Supply Chain
Solutions, current directorship Credit Valley Hospital
- Ms. Estelle Caines, Director of Access Services for Lake of the Woods
Child Development Center
Ontario's Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) plays a key role in the province's occupational health and safety system. The WSIB administers no-fault workplace insurance for employers and their workers and is committed to the prevention of workplace injuries and illnesses. The WSIB provides disability benefits, monitors the quality of healthcare, and assists in early and safe return to work for workers who are injured on the job or contract an occupational disease.
SOURCE Workplace Safety & Insurance Board
For further information: For further information: Christine Arnott, WSIB Media Relations, (416) 344-4202, firstname.lastname@example.org