Four Ontario Authors Receive Province's Top Literary Award
TORONTO, June 21, 2018 /CNW/ - The Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC) is pleased to announce the four exceptional Ontario authors who won the prestigious 2018 Trillium Book Awards. The winners are:
- WINNER | Trillium Book Award (English)
Kyo Maclear, Birds Art Life | Doubleday Canada
- WINNER | Trillium Book Award (French)
Aurélie Resch, Sous le soleil de midi | Éditions Prise de parole
- WINNER | Trillium Book Award for Poetry (English)
Pino Coluccio, Class Clown | Biblioasis
- WINNER | Trillium Book Award for Poetry (French)
Sylvie Bérard, Oubliez | Éditions Prise de parole
$75,000 in Trillium Book Award prizes are distributed as follows: Trillium Book Award winners in English-language and French-language receive $20,000 each. Publishers of the winning books each receive $2,500 towards book promotions. The winners of the Trillium Book Award for Poetry in English and French receive $10,000 each; their publishers receive $2,000 each. All finalists also receive a $500 honorarium.
"Ontario's $1.12 billion-dollar publishing industry promotes our culture and our authors to audiences at home and around the world. This year's Trillium Book Award finalists reflect the wide-ranging experiences and inspirations of our diverse society. The winners and nominees represent the best of Ontario's literary community and will influence readers and future generations of authors."
- Mark Sakamoto, Chair, Ontario Media Development Corporation
"Ontario's publishing companies are a driving force behind a vibrant industry that showcases our stories and our talent to our neighbours. Now, more than ever before, our authors are gaining global recognition with local authors' works being adapted to screen-based productions that are enjoyed internationally. I am delighted to congratulate this year's Trillium Book Award winners and finalists for their outstanding achievements and contribution to Canadian literature."
- Karen Thorne-Stone, President & CEO, Ontario Media Development Corporation
- The Trillium Book Award, Ontario's highest honour, is also amongst the most highly regarded literary awards in the country and around the world.
- Previous winners include world-renowned writers Margaret Atwood, Austin Clarke, Thomas King, Alice Munro, Andrée Lacelle and François Paré.
- The Trillium Book Award for Poetry recognizes literary achievement for a first, second or third published work of poetry.
- Book publishing in Canada is a $1.12 billion industry, with two-thirds of revenues generated in Ontario.
The Ontario government established the Trillium Book Award (Backgrounder) in 1987 to recognize excellence, support marketing and foster increased public awareness of the quality and diversity of Ontario writers and their works. Ontario Media Development Corporation manages the Trillium Book Awards.
The Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC) is an agency of the Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport that facilitates economic development opportunities for Ontario's cultural media industries including book and magazine publishing, film and television, music and interactive digital media industries.
BE PART OF IT
Ontario is a global hub for content creation and distribution. From digital innovation to literature, Ontario's cultural sectors contribute billions of dollars to the economy, employ hundreds of thousands of people and power some of the world's most innovative content.
Disponible en français
SOURCE Ontario Media Development Corporation
For further information: Info for Trillium Book Award Finalists: Ranziba Nehrin, (416) 342-1845, [email protected]; Ontario Media Development Corporation: www.omdc.on.ca, Suzan Ayscough, Head of Communications, 416.642.6619; [email protected]