THORNHILL, ON, Sept. 24, 2015 /CNW/ - Your retirement dream doesn't include frigid Canadian winters; instead imagine yourself heading south to bask in the sunshine.
Whether you are planning a short winter break or a long vacation, CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) is reminding snowbirds a little planning will go a long way to making sure you are protected.
"If you don't have the right travel and medical coverage while you are away, it could turn your winter getaway into a nightmare," said Luxy Thuraisingam, Director Marketing Insurance, CAA SCO.
"Take the case of a 66-year-old man and his wife who drove down to Florida earlier this year. He suffered a heart attack and had to undergo emergency surgery. When he was fit to fly, the couple returned home to Canada. Fortunately, they had bought travel insurance with CAA prior to leaving and the $101,562 CAD medical bill* was covered," added Thuraisingam.
Helpful tips for buying travel insurance:
- Consult with your doctor before filling out a medical questionnaire.
- Read your policy carefully. Understand what is and isn't covered.
- If you have any questions, ask your insurance company.
- Don't buy travel insurance on price alone.
Before you head south:
- Make sure your driver's license and passport do not expire while you are away.
- Check with your auto insurance company to ensure you are covered while driving in the United States. Additional coverage may be required.
- Review your homeowner's policy. If you are away for an extended period of time, you must have someone check your property regularly.
CAA SCO offers a variety of plans to suit your needs.
For over a hundred years, CAA has been helping Canadians stay mobile, safe and protected. CAA South Central Ontario is one of nine auto clubs across Canada providing roadside assistance, travel, insurance services and member savings for our 2 million members.
CAA Travel Insurance is underwritten by ORION Travel Insurance Company. Certain exclusions, limitations and restrictions apply. Subject to change without notice. A Medical Questionnaire may be required to purchase travel insurance.
*Based on an Orion Travel Insurance Company actual case and claim payout.
SOURCE CAA South Central Ontario
For further information: Silvana Aceto, Media and PR Consultant, CAA SCO, [email protected], Office: (905) 771-3194, Cell: (416) 209-4930; or Jeff LeMoine, Communications Consultant, CAA SCO, [email protected], Office: (905) 771-4709, Cell: (416) 254-0641.