Team members to present $66,000 cheque to Le Gateau Bake Shop as part of grand opening celebration
BURNABY, British Columbia, Jan. 28, 2016 /CNW/ -- Whole Foods Market will open its doors in Burnaby, British Columbia, on Thursday, Jan. 28. The 41,000-square-foot store, located in the Solo District, is the first Whole Foods Market in the city of Burnaby and the fifth store location in B.C.
The store will host a bread-breaking ceremony at 8:30 a.m. Mayor Derek Corrigan will join Whole Foods Market regional leaders, local suppliers and community partners to welcome shoppers to the neighbourhood's new shopping destination. Doors open and shopping begins at 9 a.m.
"For more than 10 years, we've had really wonderful relationships with the neighbourhoods we serve in British Columbia, and we're excited to continue our growth in Burnaby," said Joe Rogoff, president of Whole Foods Market's Pacific Northwest Region. "Our team members, many of whom come from this community, have been working hard to design a store that reflects what Burnaby residents tell us they want and need. This is a beautiful and exciting store, and I think shoppers will agree that it was worth the wait."
Located at 4420 Lougheed Highway, the new store will serve as a gathering place for local residents and will provide an unmatched selection of high-quality natural and organic goods, as well as a wide variety of locally sourced products and delicious dining options. Store highlights include:
- Top-notch customer service: more than 230 new team members were hired for this store, many from the local Burnaby community and surrounding areas
- On top of the 200+ local vendors that shoppers already find in all B.C. Whole Foods Market stores, more than 30 products from new B.C. vendors, added as a result of Whole Foods Market's local producer fair held in May 2015
- A spacious juice bar created in partnership with Burnaby-based Vega
- Whole Foods Market's first dhosa venue, where hungry shoppers can choose from a variety of curry, wrapped in a South Indian, sour lentil pancake
- A state-of-the-art Allegro Coffee bar, featuring the Modbar tap brewing system, which helps ensure the perfect shot of espresso
- More than 180 parking spaces on two underground levels, free parking with validation available to Whole Foods Market shoppers
During the grand opening festivities, Whole Foods Market will present Le Gateau Bake Shop with a $66,000 Local Producer Loan. At present, Whole Foods Market has made four loans to B.C.-based, independent food producers, and has contributed $279,000 to the local economy through this program alone. Past loan recipients include Tree Island Yogurt, Lina's Garden, and GBE Chilliwack Heirloom Organic Farm.
As part of Whole Foods Market's commitment to serving every community where it does business, the store's team members will present a $2,000 cheque to Burnaby Community Services.
Shoppers visiting Whole Foods Market's Burnaby store can look forward to a full-service experience:
- Quality Standards and Selection in the Meat Department – All products in the full-service meat department come from animals raised without antibiotics or added growth hormones. Whole Foods Market's animal welfare standards are industry leading and include the Global Animal Partnership's (GAP) 5-Step Animal Welfare Rating Standards. Whole Foods Market's Burnaby store is proud to offer beef from British Columbia ranchers, and local chicken sourced from Thomas Reed and Maple Hill Farms.
- An Industry-leading Seafood Team – Whole Foods Market's quality standards for seafood lead the industry. All of the wild-caught seafood is certified sustainable by either the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) or by Whole Foods Market's partner in Canada, SeaChoice.
The seafood department takes the hassle out of prepping seafood, and our in-store fishmongers will fillet whole fish, skin and debone fish, peel and devein shrimp, shuck oysters and, with 48 hours' notice, smoke fish per customers' requests.
- Highest Quality Produce– All of the produce sold at the Burnaby store meets the company's Responsibly Grown produce ratings. The Produce department offers an expanded variety of international fruits and vegetables.
- Prepared Foods Galore – The store features a wide range of grab-and-go meal options at four distinct venues, including pizza, sandwich, burrito and a rotating venue, the Black Bird. At the roll-to-order sushi venue, people can combine favourite fillings for a truly custom order.
- Delicious Bakery Department – One of the highlights of the new Burnaby store is the bakery department, featuring a "throwback" menu of comfort classics such as pudding by the gram and an icebox cheesecake, as well as a warm dessert station, including cookies, cinnamon rolls, and brownies.
Hours: Open daily from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Location: 4420 Lougheed Highway, Burnaby, BC V5C 3Z3
Skytrain Stop: Brentwood Town Centre Station
Store Telephone: 604-205-5032
Web site: www.wholefoodsmarket.com/burnaby
About Whole Foods Market®
Founded in 1980 in Austin, Texas, Whole Foods Market (wholefoodsmarket.com) (NASDAQ: WFM), is the leading natural and organic food retailer. The company's motto, "Whole Foods, Whole People, Whole Planet"™ captures its mission to ensure customer satisfaction and health, Team Member excellence and happiness, enhanced shareholder value, community support and environmental improvement. Thanks to the company's more than 88,000 team members, Whole Foods Market has been ranked as one of the "100 Best Companies to Work For" in America by FORTUNE magazine for 18 consecutive years. In fiscal year 2014, the company had sales of more than $14 billion and currently has more than 434 stores in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. For more company news and information, please visit media.wfm.com.
SOURCE Whole Foods Market
For further information: Ann Marie Ricard, [email protected], 206-683-0552, http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com