Poll reveals what Canadians are hoping for this Christmas
MISSISSAUGA, ON, Nov. 21, 2013 /CNW/ - According to a recent Ipsos Reid poll, half of Canadians say there's nothing on their Christmas wish list, and most say they don't need anything this holiday season. The poll conducted last month on behalf of World Vision's Gift Catalogue reveals that rather than expecting luxurious gifts, Canadians desire gifts that help others.
Three-quarters of Canadians indicate they would prefer to receive a gift that helps someone in need. An excellent example of this is a charitable gift. Offered by many Canadian charities, a charitable gift is a donation you make on someone's behalf and it's given to them as a present. World Vision's Gift Catalogue is Canada's original and most popular source for these gifts, offering Canadians almost 100 ways to give long-lasting change in the lives of children and communities around the world.
The study conducted by Ipsos Reid for World Vision reveals:
- 1 in 2 (48%) of Canadians say there's nothing they want for Christmas and 61% state they don't need anything for Christmas.
- 76% would prefer to receive a gift that helps someone in need, such as a charitable gift.
- 4 out of 5 people would rather receive nothing than a gift they didn't need.
- Charitable gift giving has increased in popularity; two in five people (42%) indicate having given a charitable gift in the past, up from 2007 (37%).
About World Vision Gifts:
- The World Vision Gift Catalogue is the leading charitable gift option in Canada.
- Last year, more than 60,000 Canadians purchased more than 200,000 gifts - donating more than $12.3 million life-changing items to children, families and communities around the world. These range from livestock to medical supplies.
- All gifts are requested by communities around the world as a way to help their children and families. Popular presents include tangible donations of Two Hens and a Rooster, Goats, School Supplies and Medical Supplies.
- Visit www.worldvision.ca/gifts or call 1-800-844-7993 for more information.
We love the impact Canadians are making around the world through the Gift Catalogue, and how much fun they have giving and receiving these presents. Simply by giving the big-hearted people on your list what they want for Christmas, lives will be changed.
- Caroline Riseboro, Gift Catalogue spokesperson
Findings from an Ipsos Reid poll conducted between October 11th to 16th, 2013 on behalf of the World Vision Gift Catalogue. For this survey, a sample of 1,031 Canadians from Ipsos' Canadian online panel was interviewed online. This poll is accurate to within +/- 3.5 percentage points had all Canadians adults been polled.
World Vision is a Christian relief, development and advocacy organization dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. World Vision serves all people regardless of religion, race, ethnicity or gender. Visit our News Centre at worldvision.ca
SOURCE: World Vision Canada
For further information:
For interviews contact:
Sarah Bartley - 905-565-6200 ext. 4054 [email protected]