WestJet adds six dozen flights to Calgary hub
29 Jan, 2018, 10:40 ET
Calgary's largest airline continues to shape YYC hub with the most seats, flights and destinations
CALGARY, Jan. 29, 2018 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced that it has again enhanced its schedule and connectivity out of its Calgary hub to key business and tourism destinations in Canada and the U.S., adding 72 more weekly flights. WestJet already offers more flights to more destinations from Calgary than any other airline, and these flight additions once again make YYC its largest hub.
"WestJet will increase service from Calgary, our largest hub, by six dozen weekly flights this summer," said Brian Znotins, WestJet Vice-President, Network Planning, Alliances and Corporate Development. "This additional service means business travellers will be able to take advantage of increased frequencies and more convenient schedules from Calgary to key business destinations like Vancouver, Edmonton, Montreal and Halifax while better day-of-week schedules allow for increased connectivity for guests connecting to the greater WestJet network."
Details of WestJet's increased service from Calgary:
- Calgary-Vancouver, from 88 to 112 times weekly (16 times daily), with hourly service in both directions (top of the hour from Vancouver, and bottom of the hour from Calgary).
- Calgary-Nanaimo, from two to three times daily.
- Calgary-Edmonton, from 66 to 79 times weekly (12 times each business day).
- Calgary-Halifax, from 14 to 15 times weekly.
- Calgary-Kelowna, from 45 to 47 times weekly (seven times each business day).
- Calgary-Fort McMurray, 24 to 31 times weekly (five times each business day).
- Calgary-Windsor, from six to seven times weekly (one time daily)
- Calgary-Grande Prairie from 18 to 26 times weekly (4 times each business day)
- Calgary-Montreal, from 19 to 20 times weekly.
- Calgary-Abbotsford, from 33 to 35 times weekly (five times daily).
- Calgary-Penticton, from 10 to 14 times weekly (two times daily).
- Calgary-Victoria, from 35 to 36 times weekly (five times daily).
- Calgary-Dallas/Ft. Worth, from six weekly to seven weekly (one time daily).
- Calgary-Las Vegas, from 20 to 22 weekly.
- Calgary-Palm Springs, from four to five weekly.
WestJet will begin serving Denver International Airport daily from Calgary International Airport starting March 8 and will launch four-time weekly service between Calgary and Mexico City on March 14. Service becomes daily starting April 29.
This summer, WestJet will operate an average of 137 daily flights from Calgary International Airport or five departures an hour on average. In the past 10 years, WestJet has increased capacity out of YYC by 48 per cent and accounts for 53 per cent of the seat capacity out of the city.
"WestJet is an important player in YYC's route network development, allowing customers from all over Alberta and British Columbia to connect to more than 80 non-stop destinations that we serve," said Bob Sartor, President and CEO. "We look forward to seeing WestJet be successful in growing out of its home base, and what is now their largest hub in Canada."
In addition to the above increases in Calgary, highlights of WestJet's 2018 summer schedule include:
- New non-stop daily service from Halifax to Paris and London (Gatwick).
- The addition of almost 200 flights to WestJet's hubs including 60 to Vancouver, 72 to Calgary and 28 to Toronto.
- New non-stop four-time weekly service between Calgary and Whitehorse.
- Additional flights from Edmonton to a number of transborder and domestic destinations including Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Kelowna, Fort McMurray and Saskatoon.
- Additional flights from Toronto to a number of sun destinations including Cancun, Montego Bay, Nassau, Puerto Plata, Punta Cana and Fort Myers.
- Additional flights from Toronto to a number of Canadian destinations including Ottawa, Montreal, Saskatoon and Victoria.
- An increase of nine new weekly flights between Toronto and Ottawa for a total of 13 times daily.
- An increase of nine weekly flights between Toronto and Montreal for a total of 14 times daily.
This summer, WestJet will operate an average of 765 daily flights to 92 destinations including 43 in Canada, 22 in the United States, 23 in Mexico, the Caribbean and Central America, and four in Europe.
For more information on new routes and increased frequencies in WestJet's 2018 summer schedule, please visit westjet.com/flight-schedules-new.
WestJet is proud to be named Best Airline in Canada and one of the best Low Cost Airlines in North America, based on authentic reviews from the travelling public on Trip Advisor, the world's largest travel site. We are one of very few airlines globally that does not commercially overbook. Together with our regional airline, WestJet Encore, we offer scheduled service to more than 100 destinations in North America, Central America, the Caribbean and Europe and to more than 175 destinations in over 20 countries through our airline partnerships. WestJet Vacations offers affordable, flexible vacations to more than 60 destinations and the choice of more than 800 hotels, resorts, condos and villas. Members of the WestJet Rewards program earn WestJet dollars on flights, vacation packages and more. Members use WestJet dollars towards the purchase of flights and vacations packages to any WestJet destination with no blackout periods, and have access to Member Exclusive fares offering deals to WestJet destinations throughout our network and those of our partner airlines.
WestJet is publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) under the symbol WJA. For more information about everything WestJet, please visit westjet.com.
Recent recognition includes:
2017 Five-Star Airline in the Low-Cost Category (The Airline Passenger Experience Association)
2017/2016 Canada's Most Trusted Airline (Gustavson School of Business at the University of Victoria)
2017 Best Airline in Canada and Travellers' Choice Winner Mid-Sized and Low Cost Airlines – North America (TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice awards for Airlines)
2016 Canada's most reputable company for Corporate Social Responsibility (Reputation Institute)
2016/2015/2014/2013/2012 Ranked top three for Canadian Brands (Canadian Business Magazine)
2016/2015/2014/2013 WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard ranked #1 in Canada (MoneySense magazine)
2015/2011/2010/2008/2007/2006/2005 Canada's Most Admired Corporate Culture (Waterstone Human Capital)
2015 Best Employers in Canada (Aon Hewitt)
Connect with WestJet on Facebook at facebook.com/westjet
Follow WestJet on Twitter at twitter.com/westjet
Follow WestJet on Instagram instagram.com/westjet/
Subscribe to WestJet on YouTube at youtube.com/westjet
Read the WestJet blog at blog.westjet.com
For further information: Media contacts: To contact WestJet media relations, please email [email protected]
Share this article