OTTAWA, April 24, 2017 /CNW/ - With such innovative ideas as its piano staircase that musically inspires staff to skip the elevator, to installing high-efficiency chillers, or retrofitting thousands of light bulbs; The Westin Ottawa has been a local conservation champion for more than a decade.
The hotel is well on its way to becoming one of the first Westin hotels to achieve long-term sustainability with its 30/20 by 2020 conservation plan. It's an aggressive initiative that will see the hotel reduce 30 percent of its energy use and 20 percent of its water consumption by 2020. This represents the equivalent of removing 450 homes from the electricity grid.
Hydro Ottawa has proudly supported the Westin's sustainability efforts through the Save on Energy program. Funded by the Independent Electricity System Operator and offered locally by Hydro Ottawa, the program offers incentives to encourage businesses to implement energy efficiency measures.
- Retrofitting 300 exit signs with LED technology saves the hotel $10,000 annually.
- Thousands upon thousands of lights have been retrofitted with LED bulbs in the Westin's 500 guest rooms and high-traffic spaces like the lobby and hallways, reducing lighting costs by 75 percent.
- The cooling system underwent an energy efficiency overhaul eliminating the need for it to work around the clock seven days a week. Now the system functions only on an as-needed basis.
- A small change in the hotel's kitchen ventilation system reduced its electricity use by an incredible 90 percent.
- New elevators save electricity two-fold: by grouping guests based on their destination, making fewer trips; and by using a regenerative feature commonly found in electric vehicles. The elevators produce their own power and redistribute it back into the elevator system.
- The hotel is a three-time recipient of the Hotel Association of Canada award recognizing energy and environmental sustainability.
"I have no reservations declaring that the Westin Ottawa is a shining example of innovative leadership when it comes to creating positive conservation change for our city. They've impressed me for so many years, and their dedication to the environment, their staff, and the experience of their clients is unparalleled."
- Bryce Conrad, President and CEO, Hydro Ottawa
"This wouldn't be possible without Hydro Ottawa and our own 250 associates, who've proven to be just as committed to our 30/20 by 2020 conservation initiative as we are. For us, this is just the beginning of our sustainable energy future. It's a permanent guest at our hotel."
- Jeff White, Director of Engineering, Westin Ottawa
About Hydro Ottawa
Hydro Ottawa delivers electricity to more than 324,000 homes and businesses in Ottawa and Casselman. For 100 years, Hydro Ottawa has reliably supplied its customers with power, building and investing in the local electric grid. Proudly municipally owned, Hydro Ottawa contributes to the well-being of the community we serve. Its innovative services help customers manage their account and energy use.
SOURCE Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc.
For further information: Daniel Séguin, Manager, Media and Public Affairs, Hydro Ottawa, Tel: 613-738-5499 ext. 345, [email protected]