More than $320,000 in funding from the Government of Canada will support five Aerospace Industries Association of Canada (AIAC) activities.
ABBOTSFORD, BC, August 11, 2017 /CNW/ - Western Economic Diversification Canada
Companies in western Canada's aerospace and defence sector will benefit from vital networking opportunities with national and international organizations at the 2017 Aerospace, Defence & Security Expo (ADSE). The connections established with the key industry players attending ADSE will help Canadian businesses create well-paying middle class jobs and increase targeted skills development in Western Canada.
ADSE 2017 is supported by $75,000 in funding from the Government of Canada. This is part of more than $320,000 from the Government to support Aerospace Industries Association of Canada (AIAC) activities in 2017 and 2018.
Today's funding was announced by the Honourable Harjit Sajjan, Minister of National Defence on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) during his keynote address at the Expo.
This latest investment also supported the Consortium for Aerospace Research and Innovation in Canada National Research Forum's Aerospace Meeting on Super Clusters on August 8th and 9th. Project funding also enabled AIAC to establish a western Canadian presence at a series of international events, which included the 2017 Paris Airshow in June, as well as events in 2018 such as the Pacific Northwest Aerospace Alliance Annual Conference, Farnborough International Airshow and ADSE 2018.
This investment is delivered through the Western Diversification Program, WD's main program for making strategic investments in initiatives with not-for-profit organizations that enhance and strengthen the economy of Western Canada.
"Western Canada has an innovative and dynamic aerospace, defence and security sector, and events like ADSE are an excellent opportunity to showcase these talents. The Government of Canada is committed to the development and commercialization of technologies that will make Canadian businesses internationally competitive, while creating jobs and growth within Western Canada."
- The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for Western Economic Diversification Canada
"I have seen firsthand the innovative edge Canadian companies are bringing to our Canadian Armed Forces capabilities. Our government is proud to support the sector's highly skilled workforce continue to produce quality services and products."
- The Honourable Harjit Sajjan, Minister of National Defence
- This is the seventh year of the Aerospace, Defence & Security Expo. ADSE 2017 will be co-located with the Canadian Business Aviation Association convention, hosting more than 1000 delegates.
- ADSE is the largest aerospace and defence tradeshow and exhibition in Western Canada.
- Western Canada is responsible for 16 per cent of Canada's aerospace manufacturing employment and 42 per cent of Canada's aerospace maintenance, repair and overhaul employment.
- Minister Sajjan also delivered remarks at the 2017 Abbotsford International Air Show Opening Ceremonies where he highlighted the Air show provides a special and unique opportunity for Canadians to see the skills their airwomen and airmen have honed with the effective equipment entrusted to them.
IF THERE IS A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN ANY PRINTED VERSION AND THE ELECTRONIC VERSION OF THIS NEWS RELEASE, THE ELECTRONIC VERSION WILL PREVAIL.
SOURCE Western Economic Diversification Canada
For further information: Ben Stanford: Regional Communications Manager, Western Economic Diversification Canada, 604-666-7038, [email protected]; Mike Mueller, Vice President, Operations and Communications, Aerospace Industries Association of Canada Pacific, [email protected]